VIII // Spy Lessons

I had problems, possible solutions, and hurt feelings on my mind. Karina Koyvokov recruited me personally to BOSS. She was my instructer and I thought she believed in me and my talents. And now I had to accept that she was our enemy.

Why would she do something like this?

We got out of the base quickly after we had located Alexander X's mansion, and were now speeding through the city on our way there. I looked over at Zander. He looked pissed off. He was deep in thought and I didn't dare talk to him.

He sharply turned the car to the right, making my head slam against the window. I muttered a few words of dissapproval. The car stopped abruptly. "Get out. We're switching vehichles," he commanded. "I need something faster."

He was reaching into the back seat and gathering our stuff. I get out of the car and slam the door. "What the hell? Be quiet, Decklynn," he whispers harshly.

I grab my pack from the back seat, and then go around the back of the little car so I'm facing Zander. "This is huge. Stop being stuck-up and talk to me so we can figure this out. I'm pissed... your pissed... so instead of sitting in silence let's be pissed together and save our Agency."

I finish my mini-rant and realize that I had been inching closer with every word, but he hadn't budged. A flashback of his lips across mine filled my mind, but I quickly dissmiss it. I focus my gaze not on his lips, but on his eyes, where I can see him thinking.

Suddenly, he spins on his heels leaving me in an invisible cloud of his clean scent. He walks over to an Audi that he had been eyeing from the other road and brushed the snow off of it. He grabs a lock picker from his pack and goes to town on the door lock. I guess a broken window won't suffice this time. After two minutes, he's in the car. I wait for him to unlock the passenger door, and then I get in as well. We deposit our gear into the leather seats in the back. He pops open the under side of the driving wheel and hotwires the car. It roars to life in the empty street. "We have to let this baby warm up," he coos as he caresses the steering wheel.

"You are going to have to let me drive this one," I tell him.

He looks at me shocked. "Really? You drive?"

"I drive! And Audis are my favourite." He looks impressed. Any animosity that he had towards is gone... I think. When his face turns doubtful, I decide to expand. "I like speed."

"Well, Decklynn... so do I." And with that he accelerated hastily and spun the car around. We were back on the free way and zooming past other cars. He was a good driver.

"What happened to being quiet?" I tease.

"Okay... it's time for a spy lesson. Number one rule is be quiet at all times and never attract attention."

"I learned that the hard way today," I respond humbly.

He laughs. "Yes. Yes you did. And also the sexual way." I blush. "Anyway, what I was going to say is that I have an exception to that rule..." He pauses to look at me. "Listen carefully. When it's fun and appropriate, make all the noise you want."

"Well, that was underwhelming."

"What? It's a great rule."

"I could have told you that," I scoff.

"But you never would have done it," he points out. I just eye him suspiciously. "Get the laptop and search for tuxedo rentals around here." He totally just changed the subject.

"Why in the world do you want a tuxedo?"

"I looked him up before we left. He's having a party."