XXIV // Cuts & Kisses

Cramped in yet another little closet with my partner, I focus on breathing quietly. There is really no point in hiding when you can't control your breathing.

Closing my eyes I try to calm myself down.

The steps stop.

Zander leans forward and brings his mouth to my ear. "I blew the glass out of the window so they think we jumped out. I don't know what's down there, but if they go peek over we can come from behind and surprise them."

I nod and he leans back.

In the dark of the closet I can make out his features. He looks at me quizzically, probably wondering why I am staring at him.

I just need something to focus on so I don't panic.

The steps start up again and I can tell that they have brought the person following us into the room.

This suspense is really killing my nervous system.

Those steps seem to be much lighter than I was expecting. They barely make a sound as the person walks across the room, hopefully to the window like Zander planned.

Careful not to make a sound, I reach for my gun. But Zander catches my gaze and mouths 'wait'. So I do.

He continues to look at me while his finger lifts into the air - the universal signal for 'one' more second.

Hurried high heeled steps become audible down the hall. Quickly, they enter the room. "Where are they?" A women barks.

Karina.

"Well . . . I'm not sure," a man says cautiously. And that, is unmistakably Rylan.

I see Zander tense and I reach for him. My fingers graze his forearm and I find his hand at the end.

It is a way to get his attention and he looks at me like I hoped. I shake my head. "Don't get angry," I say in a barely audible whisper. I need to have him thinking straight.

In a way, I actually feel sorry for Rylan. Because I know that Zander's anger is rarely seen, but would be vicious if unleashed.

"What do you mean? Did they go out that shattered window or not?" Karina sounds livid.

"I think so. But I can't see them."

Conversation halts and I wait for the dialogue to continue.

High heeled clicks continue to what I assume is the window where Rylan is standing.

"Now what am I supposed to do without those stupid kids?" Then she trails off into a mumble.

"You don't need them." Rylan seems so unsure of himself.

Karina doesn't respond.

I feel a nudge on my hand and look up at Zander. He has his gun ready in his hands and he nods once.

I reach for my gun as well and nod in return.

We are ready.

For what?

I guess I will find out.

Zander flings the closet door open and steps out in a hurry. I follow his every move. "Stop right where you are," Zander commands.

Karina and Rylan quickly turn around. Rylan is shocked and Karina not so much. Again, I am not sure if that woman has ever been scared or shocked in her life.

Rylan puts his hands up in the air, but my former trainers arms remain at her sides.

She shrugs. "Now what, guys?" she asks in a nearly mocking tone. "What do you want?"