XXVIII // Roadtrip, anyone?

A faint ringing alerts my brain to activity, and I reluctantly open my eyes. Sunlight is shining on the ceiling I am staring at. It's a new day. And we have a new mission. I reach over to what I now realize is Zander's phone and it's ringing alarm.

It reads 1:45 pm.

I shoot straight up from the bed, eyes wide. Zander moves beside me and sits up as well.

"Zan, we have fifteen minutes to get out there, let's go," I say, already gathering my clothes and bags. It appears that Rylan has already been up and at it. His computers and electrical cords are all piled neatly into his infamous duffel bags. He stands at the hotel room door, leaning against the wall. And munching on an apple.

Zander walks three bags over to his buddy and places them at his feet. He to leans against the wall - waiting. For me.

"Guys, instead of watching you could help," I say.

"Well isn't that a novel idea," Zander mocks. "But you look like you are handling it just find."

And I am. But, you know. Ignorant observers never help a working girl.

Regardless, they watch me as I stuff a few more articles of clothing into my own bag. I swing it over my shoulders and march through the both of my partners and down the hallway. I hear them following and I don't bother to help them with the other bags.

We make it to the elevator, and we ride it to the main floor lobby. We head out the door, doing our best to be inconspicuous as we can while carrying multiple black duffel bags.

One newly familiar faces greet us once we arrive at the edge of the parking lot where the forest starts.

"Jon is grabbing a van for us. We are gonna need it," Erin informs us.

As she reported, Jon drives up in a black utility van that will be absolutely perfect for our base of operations. The back door slides open, and a casually dressed Jon appears. "Welcome aboard fellas and ladies," he says smoothly.

My crew throws their duffels in and we pile in after.

Erin sits in the front seat and starts distributing ear buds to the three of us in the back. "These are military grade - so be kind," she warns.

I see a tiny smirk on Zander's face at the thought of new gear.

"Are they on a federal frequency?" I ask suspiciously.

She points a skinny finger at me as if to say 'good question'. But that doesn't quite make it out of her mouth. "No. We have no idea who is involved in the takeover. So there can be no contact between us and any federal agency - including our own C.I.A."

Good. That makes me trust our newly added crew members a tad more.

Jon pulls away slowly and eases on to the nearest freeway. It is apparently a four hour drive to where Karina's hard drives containing everything she has stolen are hidden.

*     *     *     *     *

The sunrise is beautiful from the back of the van. Zander's one arm around my shoulder makes it all the more relaxing. But I know that soon the last week and a half that we've spent not really worrying and not being chased will come to an end. Tonight. In a matter of hours.

We will go back it in full force and take back what is ours.

But, is it ours? We can't possibly be the only three BOSS agents who are trying to save the company. But at this point, I guess, that is what we have to assume. And we will take back the information Karina stole for our own sake, and whoever else's.