Death & Magic chapter 44

Chapter 44

Adramal fought for control of her body. Lelsarin resisted. Let go! Adramal screamed.

If we run, it’ll kill us, said Lelsarin.

And if we stay, it’ll kill us, said Adramal. Nothing to lose!

Shendar addressed the stone creature, her voice trembling. “Do you acknowledge Zorian as your final master, superior to all others?”

“I do.”

Adramal continued to struggle. Breaking the wall that Lelsarin had built in her mind would take too long, and it was too smooth to climb. She moved along it, looking for a weak point.

“Zorian is there,” said Shendar, pointing a shaking finger at Adramal. “His spirit lives in that woman’s body. Rejoice, and bow down before Him!”

Adramal came to a place in the wall that was lower than the rest. Perhaps she could jump over it... She ran towards it.

Lelsarin must have realised what Adramal was attempting — the wall grew higher as Adramal approached. Had it been real, her momentum would have carried her to the other side, but she came to a halt on top of it, half on one side and half on the other. The view from her eyes rose in front of her, before going black. A moment passed before she realised she had made her body fall forward. She must be lying face down on the floor. She hadn’t felt herself moving, and felt no pain now.

“Master!” exclaimed Shendar.

Now look what you’ve done, said Lelsarin. Her voice was oddly flat.

Shendar’s feet came into view, followed by the rest of her. The teacher had taken hold of Adramal’s arm and pulled her upright.

“Are you all right, Master?” said Shendar, her face full of concern.

“Yes.” The voice was Lelsarin’s.

Shendar released Adramal’s arm. Instead of falling to her side, it stayed horizontal. Out of instinct, she tried to move the arm herself, and was startled when it obeyed.

Marvellous, said Lelsarin. We’re stuck. Neither of us has complete control.

Shendar moved to stand beside Adramal, between her and the door. Adramal tried to turn her head. It didn’t move. She tried to lift her arm. That worked, but instead of the smooth, slow motion she had intended, the limb jerked, as if she was trying to throw something up into the air.

“You see, Kreztalin?” said Shendar. “An entity other than the girl’s own spirit controls the body — and that entity is Zorian.”

Adramal lifted one foot, intending to put Shendar between herself and the Kreztalin. The view rushed sideways past her eyes — she’d fallen over again. She pushed her limbs around, trying to get onto her hands and knees.

It’s not going to work if you can’t feel your limbs moving, said Lelsarin. Does this help? The wall shrank a little, and some sensation trickled in from her arms and legs. They seemed distant, as if they belonged to someone else. No feeling came from her torso or head. When she tried to move again, her limbs were stiff, as though wrapped in tight layers of blankets.

Shendar took Adramal’s forearms and helped her to stand. With tiny steps, like a grandmother’s, Adramal shuffled sideways. She put herself nearest to the door, and Shendar closer to the Kreztalin than she was.

It’s hopeless, she said. I couldn’t outrun a three-legged dog.

There’s nothing more I can do, said Lelsarin. I’m sorry.