Death & Magic chapter 30

Chapter 30

The dawn bell woke Adramal. Lelsarin sat cross-legged within her mind, gazing into space and whistling tunelessly, as though she’d been waiting for this moment.

What are we doing today, then? asked the girl-thing.

For first lesson, I’m going to the library, said Adramal.

In search of you-know-who, I suppose?

No. A book about the Church of Groll.

Lelsarin was silent for a few moments, fussing with her doll. You’re not thinking of converting, are you?

Don’t be silly. I want to find out what that symbol means.

Lelsarin clutched her doll to her chest. Captain Tagahra’s looking into it, remember? No need for you to trouble yourself.

Considering the reaction of the priests we met at the Embassy, said Adramal, what makes you think he’ll have any luck? Besides, I want to know why it upsets you so much.

I’m not sure that would be such a good idea, said Lelsarin. Some stones are best left unturned.

You could just tell me why it has that effect on you.

I don’t know! Lelsarin covered her face briefly. And anyway, you’ll probably need Perinar’s help to find it. How are you going to explain why you want it without making him suspicious?

So you think “idle curiosity” won’t convince him? said Adramal.

No. I’m sure he’d wrestle a Zerimuni raiding party for you if you asked him nicely enough, but you can’t afford to have anyone wondering why you’re really here.

Well, I’m sure I’ll think of something.

Adramal went to the refectory. Perinar arrived while she was in the queue and gave her a big smile. Her breath quickened at the sight of him.

“Can we go to the library once we’ve finished eating?” Adramal asked.

“Of course,” said Perinar, though she thought disappointment flickered in his eyes.

Outside the refectory, Perinar held his hand out to her. Her stomach fluttered as she accepted it. But this felt natural, as though they’d been doing it for years. Hard to believe the first time was only six days ago.

The door of the library was still closed, though unlocked. They pushed it open, standing much closer together than when they had last done this. Inside, they each cast a light spell.

“So,” said Perinar, “what are you looking for?”

“Well,” said Adramal, shifting from one foot to the other, “you know I’m not very good at some of the subjects — like history, for instance.”

He smiled. “I’m not so good at that myself. So many names and dates to remember.”

“We’re studying the Siege of the East at the moment.”

Perinar rolled his eyes. “I’m glad to have finished with that.”

“It’s embarrassing having to ask the things everybody else knows,” said Adramal. “I mean, it’s bad enough being a head taller than everyone else in that class, without making myself stand out even more.”

“You stand out no matter what you do,” he said. Her light flickered. “In a good way, I mean.”

“Oh.” Her face warmed. “Thank you.” She found herself gazing into his eyes again, and leaning closer to him. “Was there any religious justification for the Siege?”