Death & Magic chapter 32

Chapter 32

“Will you be going to Darund-Kerak again on All Gods’?” Perinar asked as they ate their meal.

“I was thinking of going to the city, actually,” Adramal said. “I need to get a banker’s draft for next fortnight’s tuition. And I need some cash as well. It’s surprising how quickly the money goes.”

“Are you coming straight back, or have you any other plans?”

She shrugged. Tagahra might well keep her occupied for the rest of the day. “Why do you ask?” She had a good idea, but hoped she was wrong.

He looked at his plate for some time. An awkward heat rose in Adramal’s face. Then he stared at her. “Can I come with you?” He looked down again, stuffing another piece of bread into his mouth.

Even though she’d expected him to say that, her stomach lurched. She couldn’t risk his finding out why she was really going to the city. If he was so nervous about asking to go with her, there had to be at least one plausible reason for her to say no. If only she knew what it was...

He gazed at her again, his eyes filled with hurt and longing. Had he taken her silence as rejection? She wanted to hold him until she’d made the pain go away. She took a sip of her chicory, and then a big gulp. The lump in her throat shrank enough that she could contemplate speaking.

“I... I need to buy some, ah... you know...” She glanced around and leaned closer to him. “Feminine items,” she whispered. She desperately hoped he wouldn’t ask for more details. Everything she needed she already had, or could buy here, or could improvise.

He sat back in his chair, blushing. “Sorry,” he mumbled.

I should be the one apologising.

He studied his plate for a little longer, and then said, “I need to buy a few things in the city too. Could we perhaps meet later, in Zemil Square or Princess Park?”

“I’m not sure... it could take a long time to find everything I need.” Please, stop making me be so cruel to you.

“Well, Princess Park is quite pleasant. I don’t mind waiting.”

“If you’re sure you don’t mind,” she said, her throat dry, “I’ll try to be there.”

He grinned as though he wanted to jump on the table and shout for joy. “Thank you. I’ll look forward to it.”

After her lesson with Eskalyn that afternoon, Adramal stayed behind to ask him whether there was anything she could do for Degoran.

“Well,” he said heavily, “he’s already refused aid from Rakbanorath, but I suppose it can’t hurt to offer.” He lowered his voice. “Between you and me, we’re not particularly enamoured of Rakbanorath.”

“Really, Master?” she said, trying to sound surprised.

“Oh, he’s a delightful person,” said Eskalyn. “Endless stories and jokes at the dinner table. But he knows as much about healing as a beggar knows about compound interest.” He sighed. “Not his fault, of course. Melinanders assign jobs to whoever wants them, not whoever’s most competent at them. Anyway, it’s very good of you to offer to help. Come to my tower after dinner.”

Adramal had a lesson with Degoran scheduled next, so she was free for this hour. She wandered for a while, kicking at pebbles and staring at her shoes. When she looked up, she found herself at the foot of the staircase that led up to the outer wall.

Are you sure this is wise? said Lelsarin, as Adramal ascended the first few steps.

No. But at least this time you don’t have to give me an excuse to be somewhere else if you see something you don’t like.