Death & Magic chapter 43

Chapter 43

The knife splashed into the water. Shendar stared at Adramal, open-mouthed, and was seized with a fit of trembling. She sank to her knees, water lapping around her. Head bowed, she clasped her hands together.

"Mistress - Master - forgive me," she croaked. "I... I had no idea. I had not dared to hope I would find you. Degoran thought... there was something unusual about your - about the girl's mind, but - I never imagined this was the reason."

What do you think you're playing at? Adramal asked. Anger boiled within her, but her voice conveyed only mild annoyance. This wasn't what I agreed to! She reached into her body. It was like stretching for the top of a wall that was just a little too high. She achieved nothing except making a muscle in her thigh twitch, which caused her body to stagger. Lelsarin recovered the body's balance. Shendar glanced up and averted her gaze again.

Don't fight me, said Lelsarin. I need to appear to be in control.

Control? So you can murder more innocent people? Her voice remained flat and calm. Was this a symptom of being disconnected from her body? Was that why Lelsarin rarely showed emotion?

What? said Lelsarin. Don't tell me you believed me.

I don't know what to believe any more, said Adramal.

"Rise, Shendar," said Lelsarin. "I reward those who are loyal to me."

Shendar stood, shaking. Her head remained bowed.

"I will retake what is mine," said Lelsarin. "I will raise an army to conquer this land. You will be my first lieutenant, most trusted of all my servants."

"Master," said Shendar, "you do me a great honour. I accept this position, and shall do my utmost to prove myself worthy of it."

"You already have. You drew this girl to you, by carving my symbol into the bodies of those you sacrificed to me."

Shendar frowned. Adramal wondered if that had truly been her plan.

"Now," said Lelsarin, "you came here to find something in the forest, did you not?"

"Yes, Master. One of your temples lies about a few hours' journey north of here. It is a ruin, but it is the nearest."

"Then we will go there."

Are you insane? said Adramal. This is our chance to escape.

Shendar gripped the bow of the boat and pulled it further up the river bank. Lelsarin made no attempt to assist her. Adramal sensed magic helping to move the vessel, but still Shendar struggled.

Are you Zorian? Adramal asked.

No, said Lelsarin. But I'd say that anyway, wouldn't I?

"Master, the boat is ashore. We can leave now."

"Lead the way," said Lelsarin. She fumbled with the muscles in Adramal's legs for a moment. Help me here, will you? The wall between them shrank as Lelsarin relinquished control of the legs. Adramal tried to run, but had forgotten she was standing knee-deep in cold water. The feet had gone numb and didn't move as far as she wanted. Lelsarin intervened to try to keep the body upright, but it fell over with a splash.

"Master! Are you hurt?"

"This body has sustained some minor damage," said Lelsarin. "I have not had enough experience of controlling it." She turned Adramal's head in Shendar's direction. The wizard seemed horrified. "You may assist me."