Death & Magic chapter 31

Chapter 31

A bell woke Adramal. Dawn — no — first lesson. She sat up, panicked, before remembering she had the morning free today. She let herself fall back onto the bed. In spite of the season, she was cold — she’d fallen asleep on top of the blankets — hadn’t even bothered to take her shoes off. The pillow was still damp with her tears.

She stood up and splashed water on her face. Sounds still seemed muffled, as if she had her hands over her ears. She snapped her fingers. That sounded more like tapping a piece of wood. Lelsarin had been there so long, patiently augmenting her hearing, that she was halfway to being deaf with her gone. She closed her eyes and concentrated on her breathing. Still. Calm. She turned her attention inward, moving from chamber to chamber within her mind, quietly searching.

Where’ve you been? said Lelsarin.

Her concentration broken, Adramal staggered backwards, falling onto the bed. The girl-thing stood patiently in the middle of Adramal’s awareness, arms folded, as though nothing had happened.

Where have I been? said Adramal.

I appreciate some peace and quiet once in a while, but I was getting worried about you.

Where have I been?

Is there an echo in here? That would explain a lot.

Adramal sat up. You were the one who ran out on me!

Don’t think I haven’t been tempted, but I did no such thing. Lelsarin produced her doll from somewhere and held it at arm’s length. Raising her other hand to smack it, she frowned. What day is it?

Angaris, said Adramal.

Did Rakbanorath give you some more of that wine?

He did not! What’s the last thing you remember?

Lelsarin put the doll away and sighed. After dinner. I... you... were on the battlements with your swain, and he was milking you —

He was what? Adramal’s mouth hung open.

Well, isn’t that what you call it when you do it to a cow?

Adramal was speechless.

You might want to take your tunic off before you do it for real. Milk is hard to wash out of clothing.

You’re disgusting sometimes, said Adramal. She hesitated. Are you jealous of him?

Jealous? Why would I be jealous? As well to ask if I’m jealous of the fact you have bowels that need emptying regularly.

Adramal shuddered. Some of your memory is missing. That... that incident you referred to was yesterday evening.

Lelsarin glanced nervously at the doll. Sure?

Of course I’m sure!

What happened?

I saw something in the forest, said Adramal. The sun reflected off a glossy black object, very tall and thin — a building, I assume. Then suddenly I was in darkness, being dragged along. It hurt like nothing I’ve ever known. Then I was surrounded by white light, and then I was back on the battlements, with Perinar looking at me as if I’d had a fit.

Tall, thin, black. Lelsarin clutched her doll. Tall, thin, black. She stared at her, eyes wide. Why does it have to be that?