The House in the Woods

Raindrops, Autumn Wind, Wind Chimes - Found on Noises Online

Rain beats down on the old house, threatening to wash what faint remains of blue that was still stubbornly clinging to the walls. It's almost hidden among the trees.

But not quite.

A child, half-hidden under an umbrella so colorful it seems to give off it's own light, sloshes through mud and leaves in her red galoshes, trying to following the sound of chimes tossed about in the stormy wind. She presses on with a curiosity to eager to be deterred by the shake of leaves or the cold slithering it's way around her raincoat. She has never heard any such sound around these woods.

And then she spots it.

The place seems almost foreboding in the shade and cloudy day, but with the smile she meets it with it might as well have been a paradise. She passes an old wooden swing swaying from some far-off branch, approaches the porch with it's tarnished chimes and creaking rocking chair, and sees something small sitting on the top step, right in the middle of the rain running off the edge of the balcony above.

A lost, gray little stuffed rabbit.

"Oh! Who left you out in this weather? You'll be ruined!"

She scoops up the soggy thing in her arms and shoves open the heavy brown doors.

"Let's get you inside..."