The Hunter's Home

Cat Purr, Jungle Noise, Wind Noise

The large, feline-looking beast lets out a steady rumble, twitching and shifting in its sleep. The sound of birds and frogs can be heard outside of the den, a large hole dug under a tree. It's warm (despite the whooshing wind and the moderate showers sprinkling down every hour or so like clockwork) and humid here, the sweat dripping down making hair and clothes stick to the skin and hang off uncomfortably, but it's significantly cooler in this animal's shelter. Outside the pattering of rain against leaves can be heard in harmony with the sweeping wind brought down from the gigantic mountains to the north of here, an arctic breeze heated by the tropical sun.

The creature has fallen asleep happy with a full belly, and couldn't be woken if the ground shook and split beneath it. It's purring like a contented housecat, but louder and deeper. The mouth is still damp with blood from its recent meal, and it's arguable whether that's disconcerting because it's a grim reminder of the fangs behind that shaggy kitty smile, or comforting because it's less likely to be inclined on snacking on its visitor.

It's intimidating, but beautiful, it has spotted orange-and-red fur, long and thick like a Persian's, and it's built like a tank with an almost liquid flexibility that had been demonstrated while watching it hunt. It's big, round red eyes were closed now, and the whiskers on its narrow face were twitching away. Occasionally, paws the size of a man's head would come up to rub its face, or it would stretch to each end of the small (about as wide as your average garden shed and as tall as your average child's playhouse) hole and reveal those sharp, deadly blue claws with a curve like a scythe. The pads are rough with years of use, and brown like tree bark. It's clearly old, a veteran to its preferred territory, and terrifyingly clever.

Asleep or not, it wouldn't be wise to linger. Entering its home in the first place had been a terrible idea, as it will notice the scent of an intruder and make a point of finding it, if only to gauge a threat. It's also possible that it was aware all along of the presence of an observer, and merely opted to ignore it. No way to tell with these.

Best be moving on.