The Glitch

Impulse Noise, Electric Hum, White Noise

When one puts themselves in a position where there brain is constructing a four-dimensional image with the help of a fallible electronic device one takes upon themselves the results when said image corrupts.

The tactile goes first, a steady, burning, tingle across the whole body, a metallic taste in the mouth, the simultaneous sensation of a steady electric shock (particularly around the skull) and the limbs going to sleep. At the first signs of these symptoms, and they will start to appear long before it corrupts fully, those Immersed are to pull out immediately or risk being caught in the thick of it until it unsticks itself. The signs are often mistaken for a leg or arm falling asleep in the waking world. This is why it's stressed that a person practicing Immersion be seated comfortably so this does not have any reason to happen. These 'Glitches' can sometimes be deadly. Stay. safe.

Sound is the next thing to falter. White noise, a barrage of short beeps and staccato thumps that can almost be felt, and existing noise crackling and sounding more 'robotic' are all reported Glitch phenomenon. If this is in combination with early signs of losing tactile control, there is no doubt that a Glitch is imminent. Do not wait for it to pass. Do not wait for it to sort itself out. Do not stay another minute in Immersion. Get out. Wake up. Return to it later, after checking for problems. Alert other people Immersing with the same device, if there are any, do not risk the lives of colleagues.

By the time the image is affected, it may prove difficult to snap back in reality. The image may lag, and outright freeze, impeding movement. Objects that should be solid may be partially phased through, and this may lead to being embedded in terrain. The environment may become pixelated and outright dissolve. Falling though the terrain may occur. This is the final and most dangerous stage of a Glitch.

Shutting down a device with someone Immersed is a deadly, tricky business. Do not be foolish and risk brain damage. No cause is worth that. We hope no one will ever have to experience a Glitch, but they probably will. Risks are statistically lower though, for those who memorize the warning signs. Remember, safety is our number one concern.

This has been a public service announcement.

Have a nice day.