31-Not Playing Fair

The dramas of that night seemed to fizzle away surprisingly quickly, to be replaced by one thing and one thing only in the hearts and minds of the seven.

Quidditch.

Sephy and James were being worked to the bone by Nashville, and bets were being placed left right and centre all through the school. Mainly on Slytherin winning, but the Gryffindors didn't care.

Indeed, on one particularly​ hot Saturday when Sephy and James were at Quidditch and Sirius and Halley were serving detention with McGonagall for trying to transfigure her desk into a Great Dane, Samantha, Peter and Remus were practicing spells to use at the match. Samantha wanted to perfect her little glowing lion, and Remus was teaching Peter a firework spell, to disastrous effect.

As Samantha jumped up to extinguish yet another small fire Peter had set off in the courtyard, she noticed Lily crossing the courtyard, trailed by an anguished-looking Severus Snape.

"Lily!" he was pleading, as the pair passed Samantha and the boys without noticing them. "I thought we were supposed to be friends! Best friends!"

Samantha beckoned frantically to Remus and Peter, and they all quickly grabbed their jumpers and wandered casually after the arguing pair.

"We are, Sev!" Lily had sighed. "But I don't like some of the people you're hanging around with! I'm sorry, but I detest Avery and Mulciber!"

"Don't we all?" Remus muttered, from behind. Samantha and Peter sniggered.

"Mulciber! What do you see in him, Sev? He's creepy!" Lily continued to complain, as the two made it to the ground floor of the Clock Tower and began to climb the stairs, Samantha, Remus and Peter following from within earshot.

"Do you know what he tried to do to Mary McDonald the other day?" Lily was clearly sick of Snape's silence while she barraged insults at him.

"To hell we do" Samantha commented grimly to the other two. "Poor kid is still in the hospital wing. He hung her by her feet from the rafters in the Boathouse, and charmed her hair into snakes. Then goaded them into biting her."

"Lout" Remus agreed.

The three were forced to hide as Lily and Snape stopped on the first floor, the former leaning against a pillar and glaring up at the latter.

"That was nothing" Snape said dismissively. "It was a laugh, that's all..."

Samantha snorted rather aggressively, and Remus stood on her foot to shut her up so they could keep listening.

"It was Dark Magic, Sev, and if you think that's funny-"

"What about the stuff Potter and his mates get up to?" Snape demanded, seemingly deciding attack was the best form of defense.

"I wouldn't say we were that bad" Remus frowned.

"I wouldn't say we were Potter's mates" Samantha smirked dryly, and now it was Remus's turn to laugh. Peter stood on his foot.

"What's Potter got to do with anything?" Lily demanded.

"They sneak out at night!" Snape replied viciously. "There's something weird about that Lupin. Where does he keep going?"

"Dumbledore swore you to secrecy, you sliming, snivvelling little rat!" Remus growled. Peter grabbed the young werewolf's wrist, and Samantha reached for her wand.

"Also, what's wrong with rats?" Peter asked. Remus bit his lip.

"Sorry."

"He's ill" Lily replied guardedly. "They say he's ill..."