32-Gryffindor V Slytherin

Sephy woke up very, very early the next morning. She had slept well during the night, but was now utterly catatonic with nerves. She lay for a while, mulling things over. Orson, Bleu, and most importantly Nash were all in the hospital wing, and she hadn't been allowed to visit-their injuries from the exploding cauldron had been too severe. Madame Pomfrey had, however, told her that Nash had suffered least out if the three boys; as he had been standing the furthest away when the cauldron had gone up. Sephy hated to admit it, but she'd really wanted to see him before the match. Just to tell him they were going to play. And for him to give her a few words of captaining advice. And maybe a hug.

"You awake, Seph?" Samantha's low voice came from the bed next to Sephy's.

"Yeah" Sephy replied quietly. "I'm nervous."

"Course you are" Samantha sympathised. "You're stepping in as Captain for the most important game of the Quidditch season."

"Thanks, Sammie" Sephy replied grimly.

"You know what I think would help you?" Samantha asked.

"What?" Sephy sighed.

"Open Nash's Valentine's card" Samantha replied. "James told me it was still in your drawer-"

"Snitching little twit" Sephy muttered.

"Have a look" Samantha encouraged. "You've got to gee yourself up, Seph. You're the captain. The captain brings the energy. Gets the team going."

"Alright. Leave me alone. I'll do it."

"I'll go have a shower" Samantha agreed. "It's only six o'clock. I've got a book I want to read for N.E.W.T level Transfiguration, and I might as well start it now."

"Thank you" Sephy smiled. She rolled over and reached for her desk drawer, opening it and pulling out the white card with the red heart on it. She lay down in the warmth of her bed, and opened it.

For what it was worth, there wasn't a lot for Sephy to be nervous about. But what was there was so utterly and completely Nashville that it couldn't not warm her heart.

It read:

Dear Sephy,

I really hope you don't find this incredibly awkward. But I just thought that, because it's my last year, that I couldn't leave Hogwarts without telling you how beautiful I've always thought you were. There's not much else to it than that. You're beautiful, and I like and admire you very much.

With love,

Jake

Smiling faintly, Sephy pressed the card to her chest. She was feeling all tingly inside, but more importantly, she was feeling confident.

She grabbed her towel and went to get a shower.

"Sammie?" she called, as she entered.

"Yeah?"

"We're gonna win today, you know?"

As Sephy slipped into a stall, Samantha poked her head out of hers.

"You think so?" she queried.

"I have to" Sephy replied determinedly. "Nash will be gutted if I don't."

"I'm sure he'll be proud of you anyway..." Samantha tried to say.

"No compromises" Sephy cut in, as she undressed and turned the shower on. "We're gonna win."

Sephy couldn't see this, but Samantha was beaming broadly to herself in her own cubicle.

At about eight o'clock, Samantha and Sephy met up with Halley and the boys, and they went down to breakfast, before coming back to the common room to let James, Sephy and Halley get ready.