18-Words Can Do Damage Too

The second half of the Easter term began with little fuss. Exam season was truly hotting up now, and Samantha, Remus, Peter and even Halley were slowly losing their minds. Sephy, Sirius and James, naturally, couldn't care less.

The seven of them had slowly trudged their way up to the Gryffindor common room after the last lesson of the day, Charms, when Samantha suddenly pointed out the addition of a new post on the Gryffindor common room notice board.

"Fifth year Careers meetings" Sirius read disdainfully. "McGonagall's office, one at a time-Oh, look, it's in alphabetical order. Me, Cardale, Derwent, Evans, Lupin, McKinnon, Pettigrew, Potter, Spinnet. How invigorating."

"Haven't you thought about what you want to do when you leave school, Sirius?" Samantha asked quietly. Sirius shrugged.

"I dunno. Anything I do will doubtless upset the disgrace I call my family."

"That's what this is for, Sirius" Halley sighed patiently. "McGonagall will understand all of our situations, I'm sure."

She looked directly at Remus as she spoke, who was trying, it seemed, to melt into the chair.

"Come on" Sephy coaxed him. "Remus-it won't be that bad..."

"It'll be bad" Remus cut her off tensely. "Because what's she going to say to me? I barely got in here, let alone get a job..."

"So what are you going to do, then?" The words were out if Samantha's mouth before she could stop them. "Get all your NEWTs and OWLs and then fade away into the background, living on the streets and wasting your life away?"

A steady silence followed. Samantha didn't know what to think, she was so shocked at herself.

"Remus, I'm sorry" she added hurriedly. "That came out without thinking..."

More silence. Nobody was speaking. Samantha slightly began to panic.

"Of course I don't want to do that" Remus said levelly. "But I don't see that I have much choice."

He stood up abruptly.

"Remus" James tried, but Remus was on his way out. Standing up also, James surveyed his stunned friends.

"Good job, Sammie" he nodded, a little bitterly. "I'll get this-"

"I'm coming too" Sirius added. "He's not the only one with issues-"

"Sirius, you've got to get to your meeting" Halley cut in gently. "Let James handle Remus."

"I'm gonna go too" Sephy added quietly, getting up.

It was a sallower and depleted group that now sat by the fire. Halley felt a little awkward between a tense Peter and an upset Samantha, and as the boy shuffled around to put a hand on the other girl's shoulder, Halley stood up abruptly and crossed to the window. The evening outside was clear and bright, and the sun was just disappearing behind the treeline.

As she watched, Halley could just about make out a tall, horselike figure in the shadow of the trees. The centaurs were still watching Hogwarts, and it worried her that she wasn't producing any results-or justice.

"Hey, Halley. Where is everyone?"

It was Lily Evans, without Marlene for once. Halley smiled faintly.

"Sirius and Sephy are down at their interviews. Remus and James are upstairs-there was a bit of a falling out a minute ago. Sammie's sat over there with Peter..."

"Anything serious?" Lily asked worriedly. Halley shook her head.

"No. Just stress. Exams" she sighed. "They're really piling it on."