8-Hogsmeade

The day after Halley's private lesson with Professor Merrythought, Sephy, Samantha, and Halley herself met up with fellow Gryffindors and roommates Lily Evans and Marlene McKinnon in the Clock Tower Courtyard. After Halley had reported no side effects of having the Mandrake leaf glued to the roof of her mouth, all six of the potential Animagi had done the same.

It was cold, so all five of the girls going into Hogsmeade were muffled up tight against the winter weather, but they were still a motley crew as they began the walk down the hill. Lily's coat was made out of a smart, bright green felt-like material, and it was long, almost down to her knee. She had a white scarf on, and matching knitted earmuffs, but the striking ginger of her straight hair clashed a little with her coat. Marlene had a short, white puffy jacket-coat on with a big fluffy hood, which covered most of her pale, pretty face. Samantha, as ever, had been practical to the last, with a light blue waterproof walking coat on, a big cream bobble hat and matching gloves. Halley's coat was a mixture of Marlene's and Lily's; long and puffy with a fluffy hood, but a lovely deep cherry red. Sephy had forever been impractical, sporting a full length leather cape-coat which, granted, looked awesome, but also didn't look particularly warm.

The five girls made it down into the little village, and began to wander the High Street in search of Christmas presents. Halley, Sephy and Samantha were looking mainly for presents for the boys-they had already told each other what they themselves wanted, anyway. Marlene and Lily were along for advice and moral support-and also for the Butterbeer they would doubtless all go for after the shopping experience.

"I was thinking of getting Remus a new quill" Samantha said pensively, as the three of them passed Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop.

"Yeah" Halley agreed. "Do that. He keeps chewing them."

"Ewwwwww!" Marlene cut in in disgust. "The feathery end?"

"No. Course not. The other end" Samantha said, sounding a little tight.

"Come on, then!" Sephy said, shooing them all into the quill shop. Halley reckoned her tiny friend was getting a bit cold in her leather attire.

"Isn't that dangerous?" Lily asked, as they all trundled inside. "Chewing quills? I mean, with the ink, and all..."

"He's done it for years" Halley bit her lip. "He's not been ill or anything..."

"What about this?" Samantha brandished a ridiculous peacock feather in the air.

"No" Lily sighed kindly. "Look-Samantha-get him a new inkpot, as well. He'll like that."

She guided Samantha away from the silly quills and over to something more sensible. Marlene shot Sephy and Halley a curious look.

"Do I smell a crush over there?" she asked, with a smirk on her doll-like face. Both Sephy and Halley snorted derisively and argued her down.

"Would anyone else like anything from here, do you reckon?" Halley asked Sephy, changing the subject quickly. Sephy shook her head.

"Nah. Only Remus would like anything from here" she scoffed. "Anyway-I'm getting him some big chocolate bars from Honeydukes."

"Yeah" Halley agreed, nodding and pulling Sephy a little away from Marlene. "I was gonna get Remus some new trainers from Gladrags'. Cos of what happened with his old pair, last full moon."

Sephy nodded gravely.

"Sounds perfect, Hal. I'll help you out cashwise if you want to get a really nice pair."

Halley smiled, squeezing the little girl's shoulder.

"Thanks, Seph."

"Are we finished in here?" Lily cut in, as she and Samantha came over from the till, Samantha clutching a bag with a very nice, sturdy ostrich feather quill and a neat little ink pot shaped like a water droplet in.