neuf

"alexander."

"eliza? why are you here?"

eliza stood in the doorway, her hair drenched and her cheeks flushed and tear-stained. "c-can i come in?" she asked, her teeth beginning to chatter.

"yeah, um. of course!" alex opened the door wide as she ran inside the house, sighing as she made herself at home and rested her feet on the armrest, the yellow blanket covering her.

"uh, may i ask why you're here?"

"i like someone else." she said, folding her coat and placing it on the couch next to her.

"oh?"

"i'm still in love with you."

"oh."

"it's maria." eliza said softly, smiling at the mention of her. 

"m-maria?" alex sputtered. he never imagined elizabeth to like girls, let alone, maria.

"maria reynolds." 

"i know who maria is." he snapped, pacing around the room. "what's the problem? why are you here?"

eliza frowned, twirling her hair. "i kissed her."

"and?"

"she yelled at me." eliza stood up from the couch, her head hanging low.

maria grinned, her eyes crinkling up and her blue tongue sticking out between her teeth.

eliza gazed at her fondly, watching her eyes twinkle as she re-told a story and her hair curve and bounce as she made movements and hand gestures.

eliza closed the distance between her and maria, ignoring maria's sound of protest and her breath stopping.

she pushed her away, making eliza fall flat. "what the fuck are you doing? what is wrong with you?" maria yelped in disgust, wiping her mouth with her the back of her hand.

"m-maria, i..."

"get the fuck out." she growled, her fists clenched at her side.

eliza slowly rose to her feet, her hands shaking as she opened the door and stepped out, looking back at maria.

her eyes were shut close and she was breathing harshly, her hands clenching her hair as she turned away from eliza.

"i-i'm sorry." alex murmured, hugging the poor girl. "you're soaking, and it isnt raining." he pulled away from her, examining her face. a few cuts were placed on her forehead, and a bruise forming below her eye. "jesus, eliza- what happened?"

she pulled from his grip and hugged herself, shaking her head. "thats a totally unrelated story."

alex took a few steps towards her, sighing as she let her arms hang loosely at her side and her bottom lip trembled.

"eliza..."

eliza looked up at him, closing the small distance between them, and placed her lips on his.

alex let out a restrained grunt as he felt eliza's soft lips move against his. they were different. they were soft, not chapped. like john's. they weren't john's.

"eliza." alex broke away, whiping his mouth with the back of his sleeve and took a step backward. "i–"

eliza nodded, backing away. "i know. i'm sorry." she turned around and gasped softly, her eyes widening.

alex turned around and saw john standing between the door frame, shock and hurt written all over his face.

"john– john, no!"

john turned around and ran out of house, leaving alex's apologies behind.