5.1

A/N: I don't know why there are no indents. Enjoy the unindented-ness.

5.1

I stay outside for as long as I can deal with the cold. With only a dress, jacket and tights, I don't end up staying out long. When I finally make my way home, my arms are wrapped around my sides and I'm shivering, both from the temperature and what awaits me inside.

The house is quiet as the door squeaks open,  the warm air hitting me like a wall. I peel off my shoes one by one and before I can make my way tiptoeing up the stairs, my mother's voice calls me from the living room.

"Piper, honey, can you come here for a minute please?"

My body tenses as I freeze. I can pretend I didn't hear her and sneak up to my room. The thought of hiding underneath the covers makes me feel better but then I hear another voice.

"Piper, we need to have a talk."

My father's.

I feel like a deer in headlights as I head into the living room, knowing I'm about to get hit by an eighteen-wheeler with no way to move out of its path of death. Sure enough in the living room my parents await me, but also Dr. Day, apparently who didn't leave for the hours I had been gone. However she stays in a chair in the far corner, in the shadows and almost out of sight.

"What's going on?" I whisper, hovering in the archway.

My father nods to the big chair across from the couch where he and my mother sit. It's the first time I've seen them so close together, acting like they actually are parents for once. I stare at the gap between them as I curl up on the old, musty chair, hugging my knees up to my chest. "We just want to have a talk."

"About what?" I ask.

"We're worried about you," my mother adds. "You just ran out without telling us where you were going! And during an appointment, nonetheless. And then there's yesterday, the incident with Lane..."

"I was upset," I admit quietly.

"We know that. That's why we've been talking, and I think we've made a decision about your well-being, honey."

My father leans forward, his expression hard and cold. It's hard to tell that he's even my father. "We want you to stay in a treatment center."

"It's not as bad as you think," my mother quickly continues, already seeing the horrified expression on my face. "We really think you will benefit from the help there and we just want what's best for you, sweetie. We're really concerned."

"About what?" I spit back. "Because I'm upset that my boyfriend died, you're concerned? Of course I'm upset! Of course I'm dealing with it still! I saw it happen for Christ's sake!"

"Piper-" Dr. Day starts, but I cut her off and jump to my feet.

"What about my things? My classes? My friends? I'm fine there and you're just going to ship me off only to bring me back when I'm starting to do well?"

Everyone is silent and I know I've hit a valid point.

In my head Roman swirls around, wondering how he will react when I never go back to school and never get to say goodbye. I even think about Adam, despite his many flaws, that he's been someone in my life in a time when I haven't really had anyone. He may be an asshole, but he was there when I had no one else.

"I'm going back," I tell them, walking off to the steps. "And I want to get on a flight tomorrow. I'm not going to be staying for Thanksgiving."

"Piper," my mother says quietly.

I turn on the steps to glare at her. "No, don't you 'Piper' me. I'm not the one with the problem here."