7.4

7.4

There's a moment between being awake and asleep that I hover in when I hear the front door open. My body jerks at the sound and then the peaceful, calm state I was in is gone. I'm awake and immediately frightened by the noise.

        I look around for a clock to see what time it is but find nothing glowing in the dark of Roman's room. There's a bang in the entryway when I notice the bed is slightly damp. Despite not having dreams, my body still chooses to act as if I had a nightmare. Goosebumps raise on my arms when I reach them out to search for a light because of the cold layer of sweat covering my skin.

        He can't find you here, Piper. He has no idea where you are.

        Roman's suitcase is half open on the floor, spewing half-folded clothes across the hardwood. I sift through a few shirts and find an inside-out sweater to fix and pull over my head. Someone swears, closer. The floor creaks in the hallway.

        I silently open the door and peek into the hallway. The only light comes from the crack of the almost-closed bathroom door. For a few moments I quiet my breathing and listen. Roman murmurs and rolls over on the couch, asleep in front of the muted TV playing a late night talk show.

        The wood is cold on my bare feet as I trudge towards the bathroom. I peek inside to find Reesa sitting on the floor with her head in her hands. I'm frozen. My head urges me to turn around and leave, to go back to the bedroom and back to sleep, but I can't. No matter how many times I tell myself that she didn't take me home last night, I still can't bring myself to leave her crying.

        "You look like hell."

        She looks up at me, hair a mess and eyeliner smudged

        "I'm burning out," she spits, leaning back against the wall. I stare at her, not responding. "From the drugs, Piper. I'm burning out from the drugs."

        "I know."

        The circles under her eyes are as dark as storm clouds. "Don't say it like that."

        "Like what?"

        "Like you're judging me."

        I have to rub my eyes to keep myself awake and standing. I'm so tired, so exhausted and ready to end this conversation. My brain is telling my body to sleep and I'm losing the battle against it.

       "I'm not."

       "You are."

        She drops her forehead to her knees and sighs. The conversations over, or at least Reesa's done with me. I grab the door handle on the way out when she turns to me, eyes wide.

        "Don't tell Roman."

        I say nothing and shut the door behind me.