3.0

3.0

            "You can stay silent for as long as you want, Piper, but just know that if things don't work out here, I'm authorized to send you to an institution better fitted for your needs."

            I meet Dr. Moore's eyes with a leveled gaze, but I still refuse to speak. With little to no hair, thin glasses and clasped fingers on his wooden desk, he's anything but threatening. Even his words hold no menace.

            The clock on the wall to my left ticks by, each sound it makes signaling the closer I'm getting to leaving and being finished with school for the day. I've already been here half an hour.

            "Piper," he repeats. "Will you answer my questions? I know you can talk. You are no mute."

            Breaking eye contact, I look down at my hand gripping the armrest. I hadn't even realized my nails were digging into the fabric.

            "Tell me what happened to Trevor," Dr. Moore says suddenly.

            Silently, I stand up and move to the closed door of the office. The guidance counsellor doesn't protest, so I give him a piece of what he wants.

            "It doesn't matter what I tell you," I respond firmly, my hand clasping the door handle. "Nothing I say will change the past."