Chapter 2: Running

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

That was what I first heard. The beeping of a... heart monitor?

The lightning. The fangs. The pain. The screams. I gasped and my eyes shot open. Fawn, who had been curled up in a chair next to me, holding my hand and sobbing, gasped and shot up. "Natalie?" She shrieked. I yelped. "Not so... loud.." I croaked. Fawn gasped again and ran out of the room. "Nurse! Doctor! She's awake!" I heard her scream. I sighed and rested my head on the pillow. So I was in a hospital. The next second, lots of nurses and doctors came rushing in. They came to the bed and immediately started asking me questions. Too loud. Too loud! I whimpered and buried my head into the pillow, trying to get away from the voices. "Enough!" A voice yelled.

Everyone shut up immediately and I opened my eyes a tiny bit. I met Fawn's tear-stained eyes and tried to give her a small smile. She gasped but gave me a trembling smile back. But I couldn't see her anymore when a tall and large doctor in a white coat stepped in front of me. I stopped smiling and craned my neck to look at him.

"No!" Everyone shouted, but it was too late. I screamed as agony shot through my neck, and nurses raced off, running back in with a bag with clear liquid in it. They hooked it up to me and as it dripped into me, I sighed, feeling the pain fade away. "I am so sorry, that was my fault. You MUST not move your neck until you recover." The doctor said, crouching down so I could see his face. He had electric blue eyes, dark brown hair that was gelled into small spikes and he had really nice cheekbones. Plump lips, a cute button nose. He smiled softly, and when he did that, it looked like he was only twenty. "I am Doctor Smith." He said. I tried to smile weakly. He smiled back. "How are you feeling?" he asked, still crouching, ignoring the other doctors and nurses clustered around us. He was one of those people who made every conversation you had with him feel like it was just the two of you, even if there were loads of people crammed right next to us and all talking loudly.

"I've... been... bet..ter." I croaked, and Dr Smith smiled again. "Well, you have been making a fast recovery, you should only be here for a few more days." He said, standing up. I didn't raise my head or move my neck so I could see him, as instructed.

"Let's go, give Natalie and Fawn some privacy." Dr Smith said, and everyone filed out. It was only then that I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I gasped. There was tubes everywhere. There was one underneath my nose, ones snaking out of my arms and into IV drips, my hand was all bandaged up with a bit of blue plastic sticking out of it, there was a plastic bracelet around my wrist, my face was way too pale, my eyes looked dull, and my hair was everywhere. I saw several blood bags attached to tubes that lead down to my arms. Oh god, I look like a mess!!

"Oh, Natalie!" Fawn sobbed, rushing to me and flinging her arms around me. I groaned and she immediately pulled back. "Sorry, sorry!" she apologized. I gave her a weak smile. "It's okay." I whispered. Hey, a full sentence! I saw tears slip out of Fawn's eyes.

"Awk Fawn, come here," I said, holding my arms out to her. Her eyes brightened and she carefully hugged me again. I stroked her hair and when I felt her tears soak my messy hair, I felt my own eyes prick. "Fawn, don't you dare cry or I'm gonna start crying!" I said, pulling away. She sniffed fiercely, scrubbing at her eyes.

"It's all my fault!" She blurted out suddenly. I frowned and looked at her. "What is?" I asked. She gestured to me. "All of this! I shouldn't have let you walk home, I should've made you wait!It's all my fault!" She howled. I calmed her down, making soothing noises and hugging her.

"Fawn, NONE of this is your fault, okay? NONE of it. If it's anyone's fault, its MINE for not staying and waiting on you." I said. Fawn shook her head. I held up my hand, refusing to listen to her argument. I sighed. "You know what? When we get out, can we leave here? Go somewhere safe, where that THING can't hurt me?" I asked. Fawn nodded. "But where are we gonna get the money?" she asked. I smiled softly. "You didn't really think my parents would leave me with nothing did you?" Fawn gasped. "I've got around 2 million in the banks, including my savings and payments from work." I said, grinning. Fawn's eyes were as wide as teacups. "Two million?" She shrieked. "Shhhh!" I hissed. She clamped her hand over her mouth. I glanced at the clock on the wall, and gasped. "Fawn, you need to get home!" I yelped. It was nearly ten. She checked her watch and yelped. "I better go, are you gonna be okay here?" she asked, leaning down to give me a hug. I nodded. "You sure?" I scoffed and shooed her away. "Go on, I'll be fine!" I said. She grinned and ran out of the room. I settled my head against the pillows and closed my eyes with a sigh. Time to sleep.