Chapter 16: Myrnin

Hiya :* I am in a creative mood today so I might do a double update today ehhh I'm not sure yet :p

~Rebecca~

Cynthia's POV

I was like lightning. Fast and deadly. I had my reasons for trying to save Natalie. Under normal circumstances I would just let a human die; they are not very useful unless we feed from them. But I could not let Natalie die. I couldn't. I pray Justin is not aware of what has become of both of them.

Justin's POV

I followed Cynthia, the only thought I had was please be alive. Don't die, I beg you.

I had not the faintest idea why I was abruptly so protective over her, but I was. I was listening for her heartbeat, and it was getting fainter and fainter. "Cynthia please hurry, she's dying!" I roared, not slowing down. She didn't respond, just increased her speed. I did the same, until we suddenly were... in front of Myrnin's lab? Cynthia kicked the door open, and strode in. "Myrnin!" she shouted. He popped his head up from a lab table. "Good evening Cynthia, Justin. To what do I owe the..." He trailed off as he caught sight of Natalie in Cynthia's arms, and his eyes widened. He came forward, but I snarled and lunged forward as Cynthia held her arms out to him, offering him Natalie. "Don't harm her!" I shouted, and tried to snatch Natalie back. Cynthia jerked away from me, and I went after her. Myrnin could be... unpredictable. He was mad, and frequently had episodes. He was bipolar, deadly and dangerous. I was deadly and dangerous as well, but he was far worse.

"Calm yourself Justin!" Cynthia snapped and I felt her force tug at me. I brushed it off, and I was stopped only when Oliver tackled me. I cried out as I was knocked into a lab table, and something in a glass beaker fell and splashed me in the face. I screamed and clawed at my face. It burned. The pain was agonising. "Damn!" Myrnin shouted and pressed something cold against my face. I quickly snatched it away from him an held it against my aching face, and growled. "Good God that hurt! What was that?" I snarled, not taking he cloth away from my face. "Acid," Myrnin said casually, and kicked out as Oliver tried to touch me. "Do not touch me, fool!" I snapped. He backed away, and I climbed up. When the pain had fully subsided, I pulled the cloth away, and saw that Myrnin was taking Natalie from Cynthia.

"No not attack him Justin, he is going to help her," Cynthia said warningly as I snarled, and I narrowed my eyes at her. Myrnin cradled her and flashed over to another part of his lab, and I quickly followed. He raised his eyebrows but didn't object. There was a bed, and he rested Natalie there and blurred away. Seconds later he was back, holding a beaker which bubbled with green liquid. He opened Natalie's mouth and was about to pour it in when my arm flashed out and I grabbed his. "What is that?" I asked. He jerked his arm away, careful not to spill any of the liquid.

"Something that will save her life, now MOVE!" He snapped, shoving me hard. I went flying, and crashed into a shelf. I snarled and rebounded, but Myrnin had dumped the contents into Natalie's mouth. I was about to hit him, but then I realised something.

Natalie's heart had stopped.

**************************************

Then, she opened her eyes and coughed. I shoved Myrnin and knelt next to her. She coughed again, and whimpered.

"Ow." she whispered, and screwed her eyes shut tightly. Myrnin knelt next to her on her other side, and jerked his head to indicate I was to leave. I narrowed my eyes and shook my head. He nodded and bared his fangs. I did the same, and he sighed before Amelie entered. "Come, Justin. Let Natalie heal," she said and I obediently stood up and followed her. I knew she was using her influence on me, and I was fighting like hell, but it wouldn't work. I couldn't break free.

Myrnin's POV

I watched her open her eyes and it reminded me of watching my older sister Isabel wake when I was only a young infant, all those centuries ago. Natalie squinted against the lights and I gently took her hand in mine. Her gaze darted over to me and she went even paler than she already was, which was considerably pale.

I smiled gently, no sharp teeth in sight. "Do not be afraid child, I am here to help you heal," I said quietly, squeezing her hand gently. She gulped and stared at me with wide eyes before squinting against the lights again. I quickly stood and turned them off, turning a few random lamps scattered around the room on and therefore creating a soft glow. I turned around and saw her staring at me with fear in her eyes. I smiled again. "It is alright child, I'm no more dangerous to you than any other vampire. I'm actually nicer," I said, and she frowned a little. "Do you like hot chocolate? And doughnuts? I can provide some," I said, losing my confidence and before she could answer I flashed out of my lab, out of the mansion and to a bakery. I slipped inside and grabbed a bag of freshly baked doughnuts filled with chocolate. They were still warm, and I was moving too quickly for the baker to acknowledge my presence. I entered a shop with the title 'Starbucks'. I had smelled the hot chocolate and as a woman was handing a cup of hot chocolate to a young girl, I flashed by and snatched it. "Thank you!" I called cheerfully, and I watched in amusement as both the women stumbled back, shrieking. I flashed back to the lab, and knelt next to Natalie, who jumped at my sudden appearance. I had been gone three seconds. Bother, I was getting slower.

I set the food and beer age down and helped Natalie to sit up. I handed her the meal and she gave me a weak and tentative smile, which I eagerly returned. She ate the doughnuts and drank the hot chocolate as I went over to a tank to feed my spider, Bob (A/N: yes, I may have used Myrnin, Oliver and Amelie from the Morganville Vampires series. If you haven't read the books, I COMMAND YOU TO READ THEM. The author is Rachel Caine, and the first book is called Glass Houses.)

"Um, sir?" she called, which made me smile. I turned around. "My name is Myrnin child," I said warmly. She nodded. "Myrnin, um, what do I do with my rubbish?" She asked tentatively, and I came over and took the now empty bag and cup. I disposed of them and came back to her. I knelt down and she moved back a bit. "Stay still child, I am only checking your pulse," I said impatiently, grabbing her wrist. She froze, and I noted that her pulse was strong.

"Sleep child, you need rest," I whispered, pulling the quilt over her as she settled down again, yawning. She would have objected on any other circumstance, but I may have put some sleeping pills into her drink. She closed her eyes, and her breathing slowed, becoming more even and deep. She looked so vulnerable. It made me think about how easy it was to kill her... I realised that I had been leaning in, about to bite her, and I jerked myself away quickly. I was out of the lab in one millisecond. I needed to hunt. I had to get away.