49 - The City of Love

ALDEN WOLFF

"Are we nearly there yet?" Erin giggles, bouncing in her seat like a yo yo. Tyler rolls his eyes and flicks his head to move his fringe out of his eyes.

"Almost." I sigh. She waves the balloons around in the back and a present wrapped in sparkly paper and tied with a strangely twisted bow. It's the thought that counts.

"How old is she?" Tyler asks, not bothering to raise his eyes from his phone. I'm starting to worry that the skin will heal over it because it never seems to leave his hands. I have even taken to locking it somewhere at night so he actually sleeps.

"Seventeen." I answer. 27th March. I was seventeen in October. 

"Okay." I turn slightly, and see that he is writing a card. Now. On the way there.

"You couldn't find any time to do that this morning?" I ask him. He shrugs me off.

"When does she get to come home? She is nearly better, right?" Erin jabbers relentlessly. Her lung capacity must be enormous considering the amount of words she can fit in between breaths.

"Soon."

I shift my hand to the glove compartment, checking my own card is still there. I slip it out and hand it to Erin as we climb out of the car, in the hospital car park.

JAIMIE PERRON

I run the brush through my hair again, frustrated by the knots accumulating at the bottom. Sighing, I twist it into a ponytail. I can't be assed to do it again.

I glance around my room at half a dozen bunches of flowers, chocolates, vouchers and presents. Jen bought me makeup, despite my protests. She said that I have a boyfriend so I have to dress up for him. I scoffed in her face, which I am sure she was expecting.

 I don't even technically have a boyfriend. We haven't exactly had time for all that dating stuff. We have never been on a date either. I guess that is my fault for being in ICU. I don't think the hospital cafeteria is a great venue.

I smooth my skirt, pull at my jumper sleeves. Another gift from Jenni; a surprisingly practical one. I have built up my muscles again and I don't look like I am made of matchsticks anymore. I shudder at the thought of the ribs and hip bones protruding aggressively.

I look at my gifts again. Harriet. Jenni. Lucy. Olivia. Reannah. Luke.

More flowers from Luke, this time a mixture of pale pink roses and green blossoms, twisting together elegantly. The card was nice, friendly. I suppose I will have to explain that one to my 'boyfriend'.

I heard Erin from down the hall, and I opened to door to meet them. She squealed, running  with her blue tutu bouncing around her knees and balloons around her head. Tyler rolls his eyes and tucks his phone into his pocket, carrying a few wrapped packages.

Alden walks behind them, hand tucked into his pockets. He runs a hand through his hair and I turn my attention back to the twins.

Erin leaps and I catch her, legs around my waist.

"Jaimie! I have missed you so much! Happy birthday!" She grins, jumping down and hugging me. I laugh with her.

"Careful. She's not quite better yet." Alden warns, glancing at me. I give him a pointed glare.   He has been missing far too much to come and sit with me in a hospital ward and is ridiculously overprotective. He doesn't want me to leave yet, but I have been arguing with the doctor I affectionately named Charles (who is actually called Peter) and have been given a date, one week from now.

"Happy birthday." Tyler smiles, handing me a small box with a bow tied around. I lean down and hug him, letting Erin bound into the room like a hyperactive puppy.