21 - How Come You're Here?

JAIMIE PERRON

I look at the little girl, trying to keep a straight face.

"I'm Jaimie. We just moved in next door." She nods and looks me up and down.

"Why are you here though?"

"I have Alden's hoodie and I need to give it back," I answer simply. She nods again and looks at the hoodie tucked under my arm.

"Are you his girlfriend? Your the prettiest one I've ever seen. The others are always a bit-"

"Erin! Don't open the door when I'm not here!" Alden scolds her, running down the stairs. He stops when he sees me and looks between me and Erin.

"Hi." His voice comes out a little pitchy, shocked at my amused grin. His face flashes with worry when he sees me looking at the little girl.

"I have your hoodie," I say, balling it up and hitting him in the chest with it. Erin giggles.

"Bye Wolff. By Erin." I smile at Erin and stick my tongue out at Alden. He rolls his eyes dramatically and picks Erin up under the arms. She squeals in excitement and he tickles her. He looks happier than I have ever seen him. I smile at them too, he blushes.

"Can't you stay for a bit?" Erin says, dragging out her s, because of the little gap in her teeth. It is really cute.

"Oh, I don't know. I'm sure Alden was things to do?" I say, as more of a question. He shrugs.

"Go on. It will stop her mithering me."

I open my mouth to say something else, but I can't deny Erin anything, the look of disappointment on her face was too sweet.

She cheers as I step inside. Despite them being right next to each other and virtually identical on the outside, Alden's house is very different to mine. The furniture is modern and sleek and there are some kids toys scattered around. I follow him into the kitchen and sit down where he points. Erin looks a little dejected, not tall enough to climb on the stool next to me. She looks up and raises her arms. I smile and lift her onto my knees.

Alden smiles too, strangely uneasy.

He makes some tea and gives Erin some orange juice. We sit and are quiet for a while, nobody sure what to say.

"I'm going to play." Erin declares, jumping off the seat and scampering into the other room. Alden looks at me.

"Sorry about that." He says, tone low and flat. I smile warily.

"It's fine."

"She has a twin called Tyler who is at football right now." I nod and look at him questioningly.

"Do you look after them on your own?"

"Yeah. My mum works away." He looks embarrassed. I nod and don't press it, he looks concerned at sharing anything. I have a lot of questions but he has always respected my secrecy, so I will respect his.

"Is it hard? Looking after them, I mean."

He shrugs again and his gaze follows the open door into the front room where Erin is.

He sighs, placing his tea down and resting his head on the table.

"No."

"You can't lie to a liar." I say sharply, "Besides, you cant have time for everyone all the time." I add in a softer voice.

He nods again and exhales, sounding disappointed. It feels strange dishing out advice, I haven't really lived enough to know.

"I'm not the best example, am I? She swears and she's only nine. He is always on his phone." I look at him and he lifts his head, waiting for me to say something. I could tell him all the sweet crap that he's the best and their perfect but I won't. He isn't like that and nor am I.