Chapter | 6

Bruce quietly sighed as he stood by the door, observing his only heir, busy throwing aggressive punches towards the already damaged heavy bag.

Damian had been at it since three in the morning, and now it was past seven. That boy doesn't know when to stop, Bruce thought to himself.

"Didn't you purchase that punching bag yesterday?" Tim questioned Bruce as he appeared, a cup of steaming black coffee in his grasp.

"I did." Bruce exhales a slight hint of sadness in his voice. His son liked to push his limits. He always went too far; whether he knew it or not.

As the punches came to an end, Damian walked over to the corner of the room, grabbing his towel, which had been thrown onto a chair. His knuckles were stained in blood, which was unsurprising. Most of his sessions ended up with it.

Bruce and Tim made their way to the kitchen, and Damian continued his morning with a cold shower, a much needed one too. His mind had been a wreck lately.

His father kept insisting that he should take a break from this whole vigilante thing. He suggested that Damian should live a normal life for once, something he never had experienced.

But that's the issue. Nothing about Damian Wayne is normal.

Weapons and bruises had been introduced to him ever since he took his first step. Killing, destroying, excessive training were the things he was most familiar with.

No one taught him how to live. To be normal. Even if he wanted to, he could never be.

Ever since the bay incident, it wrecked his mind.

That scar. Just below her left breast. It was deep and red, surrounded by other small gashes.

Who would dare hurt a girl? A seemingly harmless one at that?

Surprisingly, she had been warming up to him lately. Somehow. Sometimes, when they came across each other, she would flash a smile at him.

He would be lying if he said it wasn't one of the sweetest smiles he had ever seen.

And then he got curious.

What happened in her past? Did anyone hurt her? What could be the cause of her current state?

And that's what he wanted to know. What happened to the old Alina?

Because perhaps, just maybe, she could be an entirely different person.

~

Alina stared at the television, a plate full of maki rolls on her lap. She chewed slowly, giving her full attention to the screen.

She watched silently as her mother spoke gracefully on the news, her soft melodic voice always giving her bittersweet comfort. A voice that reminded her of home.

A home where she was kicked out of as if she was a mere bag of trash.

Queen Leila would be one of the sweetest souls everyone would ever meet. She would be kind, honest, beautiful and graceful.

All that except one.

Faithful, and a good mother to her.

At the age of 15, Alina had been wandering through the halls at night, as usual. And sadly, what she saw would haunt her until the end of her days.

She always knew that General Erik contained interest towards her mother.

But what she did not expect, was her mother to react that way. To act a way a woman never should. And it broke her heart. She loved her parents dearly. The last thing she wanted to see was her father with a broken heart.

But at the same time, she did not want to see her mother get away with such a dishonorable act.

Arthur Vanderbilt loved his wife dearly. He had never wronged her in any way. She was, still is his whole life.

~

This time, Alina hurled her lamp across the room. Minutes ago, she woke up again, drenched in sweat. Another nightmare.

Could she ever get a peaceful slumber? A peaceful night without plunging into an abyss of endless darkness?

She secretly hoped nobody had heard the commotion. She glanced at the clock, 3:45 am. All she could hear was her own labored breathing and clock ticking, filling in the silence.

And suddenly her bedroom door flew open, revealing Damian, looking a bit deranged.

"Hey, you okay?!" He breathes out. Alina couldn't help but notice his state.

Dark circles under his eyes, and he was shirtless. Did he always sleep shirtless..? She instantly threw the thought away, as she pushes her covers away and stood up straight.

"Uhh.. yes.. it was just.."

"A nightmare?" He asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes." She softly answered confusion etched on her soft features. How did he get in here?! She could swear that she had locked the door earlier.

"Don't worry. I'm familiar with those. You sure you'll be okay?" He replied. Alina nods, crossing her arms around her chest.

Damian stood a few seconds, then nods, and left.

All she could do was stand in silence as he disappeared into his own suite.

"Oh dear Lord, what just happened?".

~

"What's happening to me..?" Damian mutters as he closes the door to her suite. Only, little did he know, the moment that door sealed shut, another door had been opened

____________________________

Yass! Sixth chapter!

Alina: 1 | Damian : 1

Ok, I need sushi now.

Thank you for reading, it means a lot to me! My past books had a tendency not to be read, oops. And then I usually delete them. Another oops.

Don't worry, I don't plan on deleting this one. Ever. I don't know why, I just love Alina's character so much! I already have the plot of the story figured out.

I'll update the next chapter soon enough!

Love,
Sophia ⚜️