Love Triangle

Chloe was walking out of the bathroom. She'd washed her face several times with cold water but her stomach was still twisting and turning about unpleasantly. She was heading back to the foyer where Ryder would be waiting for her but her steps were sluggishly slow. She wasn't sure she wanted to see him just yet. Chloe squeaked as she was suddenly yanked into a room. She tensed but stopped herself in time – registering that it was Thorn as he closed the door behind them.

"Well?" She asked him in an urgent whisper. Thorn was frowning deeply. "Did you find out anything?" Chloe demanded impatiently.

"Trust for trust." He crossed his arms over his chest. Chloe refrained from taking an intimidated step back. Thorn was so tall that his hair brushed against the ceilings beautiful exposed beams. "Who are you?"

Chloe licked her lips nervously, "what do you mean?"

"You're not Lauren." He spoke with perfect conviction and Chloe's ready protests died on her lips. "How- how do you..."

"Everything. You stand different, walk different – react different-"

Chloe slumped against the wall gloomily.

"Then how come Ryder hasn't noticed if I'm doing so hideously?"

"Because Ryder loves Lauren to the point of madness. He needs you to be her."

Chloe ran her fingers through her hair. "Where is Lauren?" Chloe's shoulders tensed and Thorn held his breath – dreading her answer.

"I don't know."

"Who are you?"

"My name's Chloe Wilder." She reached out and clutched his arm. "Are you going to tell Ryder?" He didn't reply and she tightened her grip.

"Why are you here?"

"Truth for truth." She glanced at the door terrified that any second it might open and they'd be discovered. "Is Ryder being sincere?" Thorn held her gaze, reaching a decision.

"I don't think so." Chloe gaped. "Ryder and Elle have been working on something for months. Today he sent Elle on a secret errand."

"And?"

"I had her followed. She visited a man named Bianchi. He runs an operation called Irrenhaus." The blood drained from Chloe's face. "You've heard of it?" They both heard the heavy footsteps heading down the corridor outside. Chloe's released her grip on Thorn.

"Maniac?" Ryder's voice came from right outside the door. Chloe's heart thudded in his chest. Today a group of men had tried to kill Ryder. Desperate unarmed men with no chance of success. Fellow survivors of Irrenhaus. And she'd stopped them.

Ryder opened the door and started in surprise on finding her right in front of him.

"Didn't you hear me calling for you?" His sharp eyes quickly scanned the room. She was alone. "What are you doing?" She licked her lips nervously. He cocked his head to one side, looking at her with concern. He took a step into the room but she lunged forward quickly, blocking him.

"Let's get out of here." She tried to push him back into the corridor but Ryder was immovable.

Chloe gulped as he smouldered down at her. He seized her forearms holding her in place close against him. Chloe flinched, tensing immediately. Panic bubbled up her throat. Her eyes flickered across to Thorn hiding behind the open door. She couldn't start screaming now. Her vision started to spin and she took deep, calming breaths. "The mirrors they...were bothering me." True. "I came in here." True. All technically true. Her voice was weak and breathy.