The Underworld

"What's this?" Chloe asked looking inquisitively at the paperwork Ryder had handed to her.

"You're freedom." He turned his back on her. "Take it and get far, far away from here." Chloe's heart jolted in her chest.

"Why?"

"Because-" his voice shook, "because I know you're not her." Chloe stared at the back of his head.

"Oh." He nodded, biting his lips as tears glistened in his dark eyes. Her anger at him scattered like dandelion seeds in the wind. 

Ryder flinched when Chloe touched his arm. "I'm sorry." She whispered.

"Who sent you?" She licked her lips – hesitating.

"Prince Naethro. He wanted me to spy on you and..."

"And?"

"And he wants to know where you're keeping a vampire-"

"Russell."

"Yes."

He sniffed. Naethro had done all this – had his heart torn to shreds – for one vampire.

"Why are you still here? Just go!" He snapped. Chloe pocketed the documents but paused in the doorway on her way out. Looking over her shoulder she saw a tremor pass through Ryder.

"Lauren is my friend. That's why Naethro bought me. If you do find her – tell her Chloe Wilder misses her." He nodded stiffly. "And Ryder...you should know that... Thorn loves you." He didn't reply. Chloe turned and left. Ryder heard her footsteps fade away and raised a hand to cover his unsteady mouth.

*

The leaves were gold, amber and rusty red on the trees and a scattered few fluttered down to rest upon the lakes dark surface. In the distance the mountains sheltered them – a physical barrier between them and rest of the foul world. Twilight settled a brief hush over the woods. Peter groaned as he fell back once again upon the hard ground. His hand went up to tenderly touch his abdomen.

"You open up old wounds." He complained bitterly. Liam was unrepentant as he stood over him waiting for Peter to stand on his own.

"Babies whine less than you do, brother." Huffing Peter got to his feet – his hands melting away to green smoke.

Lewis crashed into him – knocking Peter's legs out from under him. Liam sniggered as Peter swore loudly. Lewis paid him no mind, already springing back on his feet – his pulsating gaze fixed on Ryder. Sweat glistened on Ryder's exposed torso – the drops sliding down the definitions of his chest and abdomen. His ferocious stare was an animal possessed as he stalked toward his prey.

Lewis hissed in frustration blocking the onslaught of blows but still Ryder pursued him. Blue fire crackled in bands running up and down Ryder's arms. Ryder's fist caught him in the mouth. Blood sprayed out over the forest foliage and Lewis' skin blistered from Ryder's touch. Ryder's blood roared in his veins. 'I know it was the same for me, with Lewis'. Lewis attempted to run, melting into the air and Ryder bellowed enraged. 'With Lewis'. A wall of blue fire erupted from cracks in the earth – caging Lewis in.

The hybrid put his hands up in surrender. There was a moment – a moment when things might have gone another way. When murder seemed hot in Ryder's gaze. The moment passed and fires extinguished. Lewis lowered his hands.

"I still cannot make your wolf surface," Ryder commented panting for breath.

"He hates me too much to come to save my life." Downcast Lewis turned and walked slowly into the lakes freezing waters.