Stheno's Heir

Roxanne walked into the main courtyard of the villa as the sun slowly lowered casting the sky a dusky pink. Weeds grew up over the central fountain and ivy had ravaged the peeling walls. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and swallowed nervously.

"Ryder doesn't want your magic being tracked back to him," Liam spoke in a frustrated tone entering the courtyard with Peter hot on his heels. He pulled up to an abrupt stop, "Roxanne," he greeted in surprise.

"Hi," she mumbled awkwardly.

"What are you doing here?" Peter demanded rudely. Liam smacked his arm.

"I...I...err..."

"Did Ryder send you?" Liam asked kindly. Roxanne shook her head.

"I need to talk with you..." her voice lacked volume.

Peter frowned, "you shouldn't be here."

"I know." She looked miserably down at her feet.

"There's plenty of spare rooms. Stay here and one of us can escort you back home."

"I don't have time to babysit." Peter complained petulantly.

"We need to get moving," Lewis' voice came from inside.

"I'm bringing the car round now," Liam called over his shoulder.

"Wouldn't want the leech to catch sunburn," Peter muttered under his breath. Lewis hissed threateningly making Peter flinch back. Liam chuckled.

"We'll be back." He went to move passed Roxanne but she reached out and grabbed his arm to stop him.

"I'M PREGNANT!" Roxanne's eyes widened in alarm when she realised she'd just screamed at him. Liam froze. Her lip quivered as she looked up at his unreadable face. "It's yours."

Ryder sat rigidly upright his stormy glare fixed on the countryside whizzing passed them. Naethro sat beside him – his wings pressed up against the cars roof. The demon bellowed deep laughter – slapping his rough thigh with a clawed hand. Ryder's jaw twitched. To protect Chloe he was bowing to all of Wabyt's demands – including handing over the vampire Russell. The car bounced over a pot hole and the talons on Naethro's leathery wings scrapped against the windows – setting Ryder's teeth on edge.

Liam and Lewis crouched in the shadows. Moonlight gleamed off the slavers' helmet heads as they stood guard around the base.

"So she was your girlfriend?" Lewis whispered his peculiar eyes scanning ahead of them. Liam shook his head, his expression troubled and unfocused. "No?"

"We hooked up once." Liam's voice had a rough edge, "her parents had died she was all drunk..."

"And you?"

"I never say no." Lewis' eyebrow raised in judgement. "It was her first time. Fuck it could have been her only time."

Two slavers walked passed them and the men held very still – blending with the shadows.

"I get that you're in a strange place" Lewis hissed quickly, "but we are literally in very dangerous one right now. I need you focused." Liam nodded. Lewis groaned as his fangs extended – so achingly sensitive that even his saliva felt uncomfortable to them – they craved the warmth of blood. He looked across at Liam and stiffened. Liam's skin had hardened something akin to stone and his face morphed – stretching out with a fierce brow ridge, hooked nose and a stretched snake like jaw. Liam hissed teasingly – flashing his forked tongue. "Fuck you're ugly."

It was a moonless night. The cars headlights lit up the dirt track ahead of them. They gained a view of the valley below them and Ryder sucked in a breath at the sight of the base – a welcoming beacon in the darkness. They turned – taking the winding path down the mountain. Naethro spat on the carpeted car floor. Ryder didn't react – his mind full of two men on a very important mission.