The Sanguinem Guard

Blood donors queued up along the wall, all turning to incline their heads respectfully as Hannah passed. She marched briskly down the corridor, trying not to see the store cupboards being opened to reveal row upon row of blood bags. A hush descended over the rec room when she entered and the crowd parted - opening a path to Jordan. A relieved sigh escaped her lips at the sight of him.

"Hey," she called as she walked up to him.

"You're back safe." He pulled her into a hug. Hannah's heart stammered in her chest and she held tightly onto him. The absence of his breath was glaringly apparent when they were like this. Tears pricked at her eyes but she held them back. Jordan pulled back and grinned shyly down at her. She grimaced and pointed to her teeth. "Ah, shit." He hastily cleaned the gruesome blood stains off his fangs.

"I saw the posters." She perched on the arm rest of the sofa.

"What did you think?" He sat down close to her, stretching his arms over the emerald dyed leather. Hannah angled her body toward his and his gaze ran down her slender legs. Hannah shrugged.

"How's recruitment going?"

"Badly," Jordan drummed his fingers restlessly, "people fear that there are fates worse than death."

Jordan had founded the Sanguinem Guard - an army of vampires sworn to protect humanity. But no vampires had stepped forward to help and Jordan knew of no others aside from his elusive maker. So he required people to volunteer to be turned. The enemy had legions of vampires on its side. They'd heard stories about what these monsters did to Jordan's vampires if captured. Hannah supressed a shudder. "Don't go out during the day time again." Jordan implored - his gaze brooding.

"Jordan I'm not-"

"I don't like us to be apart." They stared at one another - Hannah's mouth open to make the reply her dazed tongue couldn't form.

"Captain?" A vampire interrupted.

"Yes?" Jordan replied - turning to face his fledgling. Hannah cleared her throat.

"I better get going. I need to speak with Aleksey." She lied speed running from the rec room in a blur.

She headed up to the surface - leaving behind the underground. The air outside was heavy - stifling heat gathering awaiting the storm to break it. She kept to the shadows, arms crossed protectively. A shaky breath trembled through her lips. The goddess Serena had shown her the future that might have been. Her and Jordan's future. She leant against the wall, her shoulders sagging in defeat. They'd have been happy together. She brushed away the stray tear that slipped down her cheek. She'd never told Jordan this. He didn't need to suffer with thoughts of a future already lost.

Children giggled happily - playing in the sunshine across the way from her. Hannah watched them from the shadows. Chaga was laughing breathlessly - swinging a little boy around who was squeling in delight. Lux made happy noises in her ear.

"Go join them," Hannah urged. Lux retreated nervously into Hannah's long hair. "Chaga's with them. You like Chaga." She persuaded. Lux continued to hesitate. Hannah smiled, used to her little friends crippling shyness by now. "Chaga could use your help. Go suggest a game for them to play next. I'll stay here and you can fly right back to me after."

As she'd known would happen, once Lux was spotted by one of the children they clamoured for 'fairy' to play with them. The little ones exclaimed in wonder as Lux danced around their heads, their eyes wide as saucers. Hannah sat down on the ground, crossing her legs and leaning back against the smooth concrete. She shut her eyes, listening to the sound of laughter and small, sad smile tugged on her lips.