Memento Mortuis

Thorn needed to breathe. His lips parted and water filled his lungs. His struggles grew weaker, his hands pushing defeatedly against the waves. He eyes slowly shut. 

My children.

His plea was weak - but they heard him. Cold hands seized his arms and pulled. The waters buffeted around him as forces struggled and then suddenly his head broke the surface.

Thorn coughed, spewing out water - his raw throat searing. His gaze locked on Murias and he ground his teeth angrily. The Warden cackled – clapping his deformed hands together in appreciation.

"My, my, what a TRANSFORMATION!" 

A sudden cold wind whistled through the cave and Thorn put up an arm to shield his eyes. The flowers faded to brown and withered and died – their dust blowing into the icy lagoon. Thorn made for the water's edge - his mind in a panic. What had the water done to him?

Lightening stabbed the night sky but it didn't strike and disappear – it remained. Everything was now lit up with a greenish hue and the cave looked nightmarish. The waters frothed and shadows scuttled up the cave walls, no longer hidden by pretty flowers. 

Murias hissed, turning in the direction of the Dandelion Barad - though it wasn't visible from where they were. Thorn pulled himself up out of the lagoon just as the distant tower creaked ominously on its foundations - sending tremors across the Edge. Murias cried out as the Cold Children swarmed him. Thorn didn't linger to see the struggle - he ran. 

The cave walls scrapped his shins as Thorn wriggled as fast as he could through the narrow gap. In his panicked state he hastily noticed his hands – so young and fresh. His clothes didn't fit right – he'd shrunk. His shoulders were broad – too broad for comfort in the cave – but his legs and arms were lanky – lacking their usual bulk. His sweaty hand went to his face - prodding the smooth, unblemished skin. The burns were completely healed. Thorn's heart hammered in his chest. 

Murias' enraged screams echoed throughout the cave. The Cold Children couldn't hold back the Warden any longer – he was coming for him. Escaping the narrow cave entrance, Thorn broke into a sprint. He needed to get back to Lauren.

Blue fire erupted in a wall – barricading the passage between two towers. Thorn skidded to a stop. The flames burnt cold. Sparks floated out but they weren't bright embers but instead flecks of snow that caught in Thorn's hair. Maverick emerged from the flames and this time he'd taken on the form of a man. Thorn gaped at the sight of a younger looking Ryder. This apparition's hair was lighter and his jaw narrower but otherwise he was a dead ringer of the warlock. 

Maverick raised his hand - electricity crackling with a lethal current was coiled like a snake around his fingers and wrist. Thorn leapt to the side. The blast only narrowly missed him - cracking the stone where he'd been standing. 

Without hesitation Thorn leapt over the edge and landed nimbly on the lower level. His heart hammered in his chest and he looked up to see the level above trembling. He ran, struggling in his bulky clothes. Murias appeared in front of him. The Warden had blown up in size and now he could touch the tops of the towers. Thorn craned his neck to look up at the gigantic reaper - his mouth going dry with fear.  

The Warden laughed and it made the ground tremble. Thorn spread his legs, keeping his balance. The Dandelion Barad exploded and Murias bellowed -enraged - as black shards of glass shot out. The shards ripped through Murias' silver wings and Thorn leapt back out of the way as 3 foot feathers rained down upon him. 

Thorn glowered up at the Warden and their eyes locked. Slowly, menacingly, the Warden prowled toward him. His colossal wing remnants scrapped against the towers – shooting sparks. Thorn's courage failed and his eyes showed a glimmer of fear. He was remembering the stone wings of angels brought to life by Michael... Thorn's heart clenched painfully. He'd hurt Ryder – taken away somebody he cared about when the warlock had already lost so much...