Chapter 13

Parents aren't really something demons rely on as much as humans do. Yes, a demon's parents do love them and protect them, but not in the way human parents do. Human parents take their children shopping, travel with them, buy them things, reward them, get involved with their life, things like that.

Demons don't do that, they are very lenient with their parenting. From a very young age, they make their children be independent. For example, as soon as they are old enough to be placed in school, they take care of themselves. Transport themselves to school, pack their own lunch, come home, take themselves wherever they wish and all the parents do is provide them currency. It's quite efficient, really.

Demons don't particularly care for authority, so they savor every bit of freedom they can.

But of course, Evan and Craig don't know how human parents behave so they don't worry about whether or not Tyler's parents are home, because Craig's had never really been that concerned when they returned home from Demon school.

"Looks like my mom is home." Tyler commented as he noticed a burgundy sedan in the driveway, which was apparently his mother's car.

He leads the group onto the pathway that leads to his front door. He turns the knob, figuring that the door was unlocked since his mother was home, luckily it was.

"Mom! I'm home! The guys are here too!" He calls, his voice slightly echoing throughout the entrance.

"I'm in the kitchen sweetie!" A female voice calls back, the voice belonging to none other than Tyler's mom.

Tyler lead the group to the kitchen, where his mother was making mini sandwiches. "Hey, mom." He greeted, placing his backpack onto a chair.

His mother turns around, a wide smile on her face. "Oh hi sweetie, it's so wonderful to see all of you boys again. I've made you sandwiches-Oh! Who is this?" She said, noticing Craig and Evan.

Tyler walked over to them, gesturing them towards his mom. "These are Evan and Craig, the new kids I told you about."

"Hi, nice to meet you, Mrs. Wilde." Evan greeted, holding out his hand only to be brought into a bone crushing hug, a gasp of surprise leaving his lips as he started to panic from the contact.

Craig's eyes slightly widened, since he didn't really want to cause a scene, and out of the corner of his eye he could see Tyler looking a bit worried too.

"Yes, it's very nice to meet you, Mrs. Wilde. Tyler has told us great things!" Craig said, hoping that Tyler's mom would let go of Evan before he had a panic attack.

Luckily, she did release Evan, turning her attention to Craig as he shakily tried to calm himself down, making his way back towards his place next to Jonathan, who looked a bit concerned as he noticed Evan shaking slightly.

"Hey, are you ok?" Jonathan whispered as soon as Evan was close enough.

He nodded. "Yeah, I'll tell you later." He promised he watched as Tyler's mother greeted Craig with the same bone crushing hug, although his friend looked much more calm than he had felt, obviously not minding the contact like Evan had.

"Alright, well we're gonna head up to my room. Bring us the food when it's ready, ok?" Tyler said, guiding his friends towards the stairs, Evan now in the back next to Craig once more.

"You sure you're fine, Ev? You looked like you were gonna pass out." Craig said, concerned that Evan was now being quieter than he had been earlier. Once again, all he did was nod in response.

They reached Tyler's room, the rest of the guys piling in behind him. Evan again taking his place next to Jonathan as he sat next to him on the bed, their shoulders a centimeter apart from touching. Evan shot Craig a small smile when he noticed the concerned look his brother had given him.

Although Craig was unsure if Evan was lying or not, he returned the smile and watched as Tyler set up his playstation, curious to know what it did. They didn't use game systems in Hell, too much vanity for even the most snobbish demon.

----------

It had been a few hours already of the boys taking turns playing video games, one of the hours had been spent teaching the two demons how to play.

Tyler stood up from where he had been sitting cross-legged on the floor, stretching his arms widely as he brought up the subject of food.

"Should we order pizza?" He asked, glancing around the room. And once again, Evan and Craig were very confused, pizza was not available in Hell, so they had no idea how to respond.

"Evan? Craig? You guys want pizza?" Brain asked, noticing they were the only two to not give an answer.

"Um, we've actually never had pizza before, don't even know what it is." Craig spoke, both him and Evan lowering their heads in shame as their friends shouted outbursts.

"There's no way you've never had pizza before! You've got to be shitting me!" Tyler said, staring at Craig in disbelief.

"Yeah, have you been living under a rock your entire life! For god's sake how have you not had pizza?!" Brian said, standing up in surprise.

Jonathan didn't comment, he was too busy looking at Evan, who flinched every so often from all the raised voices, as well as trying to sink further into the bed.

"Hey," Jonathan whispered to Evan, hoping to comfort him. "It's ok if you've never tried pizza, the guys just like to overreact about things. Do you need to go outside for a bit?" He asked, concern for his friend evident in his voice, he was just trying to help.

Evan shook his head, smiling at Jonathan. He was fine, just a little tired, stressed out and still a bit shaken up from earlier, but he was fine. He had to be, he was a Guardian, sworn to protect his assignments.

But they were starting to feel like more than just assignments, they were starting to feel like friends.