Chapter 8

Rey's POV

"So you and Niall fucking or what?"

I turned to look at Maddie, who was checking out a pair of shoes.

We were out shopping three weeks later, after the festival, getting ready to leave for San Francisco for the final match. Apparently it was tradition for Maddie to buy a new pair of shoes before each match.

We were supposed to meet up in front of the pitch tomorrow, so the bus could take us to the airport in time.

"Um, I've only seen him once after the festival, and it was in Lit class. And practice, but we didn't really talk. He's been busy.", I said, looking through the clothes on the hangers.

"But you're like, friends with benefits?"

I shrugged. "He propositioned it, but I didn't give him an answer."

"But you want to, right?"

"I mean-yeah.", I admitted.

We walked towards the checkout and as we set our clothes on the counter, she turned to me:

"Did he tell you the five rules?"

"Five rules?"

"Yeah. No cuddling after sex, no fucking someone else more than once, if you fall in love with him you have to stop, no-hold on."

We handed the lady the money, before we exited the store. She turned to me.

"Yeah, so, where was I?", she asked and pointed towards the Ann Summers store at the end. There was a child crying nearby, and I decided to check out what was wrong.

"You were telling me his five rules?"

"Yeah. No kissing and no dates."

"He didn't tell me that."

She wriggled her eyebrows. "Well then maybe it's a sign."

"A sign for what?"

"Are you really that stupid? That he doesn't treat you like all the other fucks."

"Were you one of his friends with benefits?"

"Used to. But then he broke it off because Soph came along."

"Oh."

"I didn't mind though. He's good, but, you know, you can't just fuck and have no feelings. If I would've continued it, I would have ended up thinking we would eventually end up together. So it was for the best."

"How long has he...you know, with Soph?"

"For like a year now. She's totally into him though. Poor girl, she actually thinks she's going to be his girlfriend. Did he give you the 'I don't believe in love, just fucking' speech?"

I nodded and we finally got to the Ann Summers store. I spotted a child on a bench nearby, crying his eyes out.

"I'll come with in a few, okay? I'm going to see what's wrong.", I told her, pointing to the little guy.

She nodded and entered the store. I made my way towards the kid who had a snotty nose and wet cheeks.

His eyes were a deep blue and I thought that he was going to be really attractive when he was going to be older.

I set my bags on the floor, before I crouched down so I could be on the same eye level.

"What's wrong baby? Are you okay?", I asked and he looked at me with glassy eyes.

I looked for a tissue through my pockets but found nothing.

"M-my mumm-y left m-me out h-here be-because I w-was bad a-and I'm sca-ared.", he stuttered, crying.