Twenty Four

Twenty four

I half run to the nurse's station to ask for his whereabouts. She was busy talking to the phone, so it took awhile to get the information. When she finally finished, someone was rushing behind me in a wheelchair, which became the nurse's first priority.

I didn't want to be rude, but I was on fire. "Excuse me. Do you know where Doctor Stanley is?" I asked her, as I half blocked her way to the patient.

"Doctor Stanley? I think he just signed out..." She replied, slightly shock by my presence as she stepped away from me and rush to the patient.

I stood there for a moment, trying to process it. But, as the time ticks by, I might lose my chance to see him before he goes away. I do not want this to take another day, I've already wasted enough. So, I ran; I ran as fast as I can to the hospital's lobby. I used the stairs rather than the elevator since it was too slow for me.

My breath was ragged and I was almost breathless as I reach the ground floor. I stopped in the center of the room and scanned the place as I filled my lungs with air. In a frantic search for him, I felt slightly dizzy as I concentrate on the figures and faces surrounding me, wishing that one of them is him.

My heart was beating fast that it ringed in my ear. Suddenly, everything was in slow motion, and I felt my heart sank as my guarded eyes started to prick with tears. When I realize he wasn't in the room, I ran outside the hospital and scanned the parking lot for his car.

For a moment, I stood there defenseless and weak. There was nothing, not traces of him, like he never existed. I felt so disappointed with myself. How can I be so obtuse and slow? Why do I try to deny everything when it was so obvious? And, now, I was too late.

The next day, I went to the hospital to visit Annette after work. She just woke up this afternoon and I wanted to give her a present for being back with us. But, as I walked towards her room, I also hoped to see Logan there, like he was always there went I was in the same situation.

I was happy as I enter the room with a laughing Annette. Tristan was seating beside her in a chair as they watch some re-runs of a sitcom. It was like a scene in the end of a tragic movie, the boy and the girl back together and living happily.

"Hey, my caramel honey. How's work?" Annette greeted when she finally noticed me standing by the door, observing them.

"Work is fine." I replied with a soft chuckle. "Welcome back." I added with a smile as I walked towards her for a hug.

"I'm fine. Don't worry." She whispered to me as I held her in a tight embrace.

"I know." I whispered back before I let her go.

"Hey. I'm going to get something to drink. Anyone of you would like me to get something?" Tristan asked as he stood up and walked towards the door and paused to wait for our answer.

"I would like a caramel macchiato. You know that." I replied with a smirk.

"I would like a..." Annette started but stopped when Tristan held out is hand, signaling her to stop.

"No drinks for you, Bunny. The question was meant for Ally." He interjected, chuckling.

"Then, you shouldn't have implied and asked like I was included." Annette pouted as she pretended to be pissed about it.

I shook my head as I stood there watching them bicker, like things were back to normal, like we were anywhere else than in this close, too clean, white walls of a hospital room. When Tristan finally went away, I took his seat beside Annette.

"So, how are you really?" She asked sternly after a short moment of silence as I settled down on the chair.

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to act confuse by her question.