9

When I was twelve I was cast as a tree in my school play. Not because I was particularly willowy in stature, or because I was tree-like in any way, shape or form. I was cast as a tree because I couldn’t act.  A little bug eyed boy called Charles, who was about as delinquent as they come, and ‘moi’ stood at the back of the stage and waved our arms from side to side as the only two trees in the play. In my report card my teacher had commented on my participation in the school play, “Annie tried really hard in the play.”

And now I was cast in the role of fake fiancé to Chris and had no idea how I was going to pull it off. Especially in front of Trev, who seemed to have this uncanny ability to sniff out bullshitters, liars and cheats. (Takes one to know one I guess)

The prospect of playing ‘couple in love’ for the next seven days was terrifying. And I could only imagine what my sister was going to say when she arrived.

“Okay, so maybe I took it a bit far with that engagement thing,” Chris said as he started helping me throw my clothes and cosmetics in my suitcases. “But those two were driving me mad with their perfect, great- sooo great- little life. I couldn’t help myself!”

“A bit too far… I’m not sure how we’re going to pull this off?”

“I’m sure it’s going to be fine.” Chris said zipping up the last of my bags and pulling them out the door.

Maybe he was right. Maybe it wouldn’t be as bad as I thought. “You’re probably right. It’s not like we’ll be bumping into them every five seconds, it’s a big resort.”

Famous last thoughts- because as we closed the door behind us and started walking down the path…

“Anne. Chris.” That smug little nasal voice again. “What are you guys doing with bags?” I could hear the conniving suspicion in his voice. He was dying to catch us out. I could tell from the second that Chris had said we were engaged, that he didn't believe us.

“Um…” I looked at Chris hoping he had some clever story; he was the writer after all.

“We’re upgrading rooms. The presidential suit, “ Chris really annunciated those last two words and Trev shuddered in response, “The presidential suit was only ready for us from tonight, so we’re just switching rooms.” Chris shot him a dazzling smile.

“Presidential suit hey?“I didn’t know they had them here?”

“Yeah. Honestly, it’s not as good as some of the others we’ve stayed in, but it will do.”

It was hard not to burst out laughing. Chris was milking the situation for all it was worth and I was thrilled to finally be getting the opportunity to kick Trev where it would hurt. In his ego.

“Well enjoy.” It was said with such blatant insincerity that I could almost hear what he really wanted to say, “I hope the roof caves in on you two and a giant Tsunami rushes in and washes you both out to the deep sea where you drown and are eaten alive by sharks.”

But he smiled and waved and trotted off down the path dragging Tess behind him.

Tess really is one of the most beautiful women you’ve ever seen. She oozes and drips and simmers sex. You might be wondering why this hadn’t set alarm bells screeching when they’d started working together? But she was always so nice to me, and seemed so in love with her fiancé, that the thought of her and Trev being unfaithful had never even crossed my mind.

She was blessed with a creamy olive complexion, the perfect Barbie doll measurements, long shiny black hair and rich hazelnut eyes. Chris was right- she looked a lot like Megan Fox, something I knew I could never compete with. It had been a massive blow to my ego when they'd officially gotten together; you never want your ex to go out with someone hotter than you, let alone someone who could win the Miss Universe contest dressed in a black plastic bag and hobbling on crutches. And I didn’t like the fact that Chris thought she was gorgeous, especially since I was supposed to be his fake fiancé.