Canals

*Jack’s POV*

Alex skipped school today.  He never skips school.  He also didn’t text me and hasn’t returned any of my messages all day.  I’m starting to worry about him.  Maybe I should stop by on my way home and check on him.  I walk out the door to my car, then I hear a familiar voice call my name.

“Hey Jack, wait up!”  Rian yells.  I stop walking and turn around to wait for him to catch up.

“What’s up, Rian?”

“Have you…” he pauses to catch his breath, “have you heard yet?”

“Um heard what?  That you’ve been working out more?  Cause dang dude,”  I laugh.

“No.  Well yes, but not that.  According to Zack, Carrie is moving back here.”  All humour leaves my face and I tense up.  God, I hate that bitch.  “She’ll be here tomorrow.”

“Well fuck.  She’s psychotic.  Why the hell is she coming back?  There’s nothing here for her.  All her friends ditched her and Alex sure as hell doesn’t want her back.  Wait...that means she’s bringing that kid back here.  Oh poor Alex…”  He’s going to be so hurt, having to see Carrie and her kid around here all the time.

“I know she’s psychotic.  Crazy ass bitch clawed my face up when I tried to defend Alex.  Speaking of, he’s going to be upset when he hears about this.  Maybe I’ll call him later.”  I grab his arm and pull him towards my car.

“Nope, we’re going over there right now.  He hasn’t texted me all day and something is wrong, I can feel it.  My baby needs me!” I yell as I jump into my car.  He climbs in the passenger seat laughing.

“You sound like an overprotective mother.”

“No, just an overprotective boyfriend,” I smile over at him and start the car.  We drive to Alex’s house pretty fast, which I know I shouldn’t do, but I’m worried about him.  When I pull into his driveway his car is there but so is another car I don’t recognize.  Weird…  Rian and I jog up to the door and I knock lightly before opening the door and walking in.  Rian hesitates for a minute but when I raise my eyebrows at him he comes in too.  “Alex?” I call.  No answer.  “Alex!” I call, a bit louder.  Still no answer.  “Babe?”

“I’m in the living room, Jack!” he finally calls back.  Immediately after he says my name, we hear a smack and a girl’s voice mutter something.  Why the fuck is there a girl here?  And did she just smack my Alex?  Oh hell no!  I walk to the living room with Rian close behind.  I stop dead in my tracks when I see who is standing next to Alex.  No, not just next to, touching him.  She has her bony arm linked through his and her other hand on his chest.  That fucking dirty evil smirk is plastered on her dumb face like it always used to be.  Her whole essence just screams ‘dumb slut’.  Carrie.  I look at Alex and it almost breaks my heart.  He’s staring at the ground and I can just barely see his face behind all that hair, but there’s a red mark on his cheek from where I’m assuming Carrie slapped him.  I can also see that he’s not breathing well and he’s shaking slightly.  Oh Alex…  

“Lex, are you having a panic attack?”  Carrie steps forward in between me and Alex and oh boy, does she look angry.  As soon as her back is to him, he glances up at me and a tear slides down his cheek.  Oh how I wish I could hold you, love.  What has she done to make you cry?

“Don’t talk to him, fag!  He doesn’t want to talk to you!” she screeches in that god awful voice of hers.  His head drops lower to the ground and I watch a tear fall from his face, then another.  Instinctively, I take a step toward him and reach my hand out.  Carrie smacks my hand away and tries to get in my face but fails since she’s a full foot and a half shorter than me.  “Leave him alone, Barakat, he doesn’t want you!”