Backseat Serenade

*Jack’s POV*

I pull my car up to my house and cut the engine.  Alex was pretty quiet the whole ride here, he didn’t really say much but he did sing along quietly when a good song was on.  I’m really worried about him.  I don’t know what to do.  His eyes look so sad...those chocolatey eyes… I realize I’m staring at him so I quickly look away.  Smooth one, Jack.  You’re such a creep.  I get out of the car and open up the back door to grab some of Alex’s stuff.  We each carry 2 bags and Alex carries his guitar and we go inside.  “Oh Jack, is that you?” my mom calls.

“Yeah Mom, it’s me and Alex,” I call back.  “Come on Lex, let’s just go to my room.  They’re probably watching something stupid on tv anyways,” I say as I turn to Alex.  I notice his eyes quickly shoot up to my face when I turn around.  Was he just looking at my...no.  No way.  Alex is straight.  He would not be checking out my butt. ...Would he?...

“Jaaaack,” he says pulling me out of my thoughts.  “Can we go upstairs now?  These bags are heavy,” he gestures to the bags in his hands.

“Oh yeah sorry.  I was just...thinking about something.”  Come on, pull yourself together, Jack.  He just lost his brother, stop thinking weird things about him.  We go upstairs and drop all his stuff in a corner of my room.  “Wanna watch a movie?” I suggest.

“Sure.  I’m kinda tired.”

“Alrighty.  We can both just sleep on my bed I guess.  It’s big enough,” I say motioning to my queen size bed.  We both change into pajama pants and take off our shirts before getting comfortable on my bed.  I turn on the tv and dvd player, knowing that the movie Easy A is already in there.

About 20 minutes into the movie Alex is out.  He fell asleep curled up in a ball with his back pressed up against my side and his head on my arm.  I have to admit, I like this.  It’s so warm and just comfortable having him sleep next to me.  It just feels right.  Do I really have feelings for my best friend?  I mean, I’m straight aren’t I?  Ugh this is frustrating.  Maybe I should just talk to him about this.  Tomorrow when my parents leave.  I would have to him earlier but noooo his parents came home.  But if I had told him, would he be here right now?  Sleeping in the same bed as me?  What if I tell him that I think I have feelings for him and he’s disgusted?  I can’t lose my best friend.  Just then, Alex stirs in his sleep.

“Jack?  Are you awake?” he asks groggily.  I don’t know why, but I don’t reply.  I just let him think I’m asleep.  “Jaaaack, I’m cold.  Come on,” he rolls over and faces me.  “Aw Jacky, you’re so cute when you’re sleeping,” he whispers.  He grabs the covers and pulls them over us, then snuggles himself into my side and lays his head on my chest.  I can feel him smile into my chest and it brings a huge grin to my face.  Okay, so I definitely have feelings for him.  What am I going to do?  Alex’s breathing slows as he falls asleep, leaving me to my thoughts.  Not long after, I fall asleep too.

“JACK!” my dad calls up the stairs.  I startle awake, but somehow Alex manages to sleep through it.  Lucky jerk.  I carefully get up,  gently taking him off of my chest and unwrapping his arms from me.  I go downstairs and my parents are waiting in the living room, wearing their coats and looking impatient.  I glance behind them and see that the time is 6:28 a.m. and then I remember that they’re leaving today.  “Come on Jack, we absolutely have to be out of the house by 6:30,” my dad says.  “And uh son, you have a um little situation there,” he says gesturing to my pants.  Oh dear God, I think as I look down.  Morning wood?  Really?  This is sooo embarassing.  Why do I even have this?  It can NOT be from Alex...can it?

“Oh God.  Umm...” I grasp for anything to say.

“Well okay then.  Just say goodbye and go back to bed,” my mom says.  We all hug and they remind me not to burn down the house, to do the dishes, and to remember to feed ourselves while they’re gone.