Demons in the Sky

Ryder awoke. His heart felt like lead in his chest and he gritted his teeth against the onslaught of pain, Lauren, even you, Lauren, my Lauren. He was lying in the back of a heavy armoured vehicle, hands secured behind him, ankles bound and mouth sealed shut with duct tape. His battered leather jacket with its worn and frayed lining gaped open to reveal his chiselled torso. His muscles rippled with each breath and beads of sweat glided down his smooth skin, catching in the deep contours of his abdomen before eventually snaking their way down his narrow hips.

Ryder wasn't an ordinary man. He had been once, a mortal of flesh, blood and bone. Then he'd been abandoned in a top secret government facility called Project Blue. They'd destroyed him and then they'd resurrected him. After escaping he'd completed what they'd started, harnessed his new power and dreamt of its potential. But then, Lauren. Just the thought of her caused bright, exquisite pain to pierce his wild and bloody heart. He lay still, feigning sleep, allowing his mind to linger over torturous thoughts.

"You make me feel whole, you make me feel like a man again and not a monster. Loving you has saved me." He'd spoken sincerely. For the briefest, most foolish moment, he could see a future for himself. A future that made him smile, made warmth spread through him and his soul soar to the heavens. Now his heart bled at the cruel truth.

"I know, it was the same for me," her eyes, her astonishing eyes had looked down at him for the first time, "with Lewis." The most painful thing hadn't been the needle, but the knowledge (the cruel certain knowledge) that she was telling the truth.

Lauren's hair billowed out behind her as she increased the motorbikes speed, the engine growling between her thighs. Wade had his hands wrapped securely around her waist and his knuckles whitened as the devastation that lay before them became apparent. Screams for help, blaring sirens, wails of grief and the roar of the flames crashed over them in a terrific tidal wave.

"What are they?!" Wade shouted in her ear. Lauren could only crane her neck and stare in mute horror.

Monsters filled the sky, their colossal wing beats fanning the flames. There were so many of them, overwhelming the village and devastating everything in their path. Demons. They were huge, hideous, salivating creatures with taunt scarlet flesh and blood stained mouths. "LAUREN!" Too late. A demon caught them from the side and Lauren was sent flying through the air. She spun, her insides plummeted and everything seemed to slow down. Until her back smacked against the ground. She rolled, tears filling her eyes. Grass scratched at the side of her face and droplets of blood dribbled down her chin.

A gloved hand touched his stomach and Ryder stiffened. He recognised the scent that filled the air. A lazy finger traced down his body and Ryder snapped his eyes open.

"You're awake." Ryder's blood ran cold as memories flooded him. Gabriel smiled. It was just the two of them in the back of the van, and already the air felt like it was growing thin. Ryder pulled away and moved to sit upright. The hand on his chest travelled upwards, fingertips caressing his collarbone.

How dearly Ryder wished he could use his powers. But he couldn't. He couldn't even feel them. This was Gabriel, his master. "Hush, hush." Gabriel whispered softly as Ryder began to tremble violently. Gabriel's voice was light and girlish and he smiled sympathetically. Lies. It was the laughter Ryder remembered most, so many times he'd awoken screaming with the sound of Gabriel's laughter fading away.

The vehicle did a sharp turn and Ryder's head thudded against the wall. Gabriel was on his knees but he raised himself a little, closing the distance between them. Gabriel's skin was whiter than paper, blue veins mapping all over him, his eyes pale and colourless. Soulless. Gabriel's long fingers danced over Ryder's rough throat before he stroked Ryder's sweaty face, his touch reverential.