IM 3

After Crickets little journey further south Ember realized he didn’t move much, she’d caught herself on more then one occasion checking her fuzzy little critter. Sound asleep he made himself at home, shrugging it off Ember really didn’t mind. Cooking dinner Len added more wood to the fire as she passed him a plate, nodding her a thanks he began to eat in more silence. This was their normal routine, but Ember was going to shatter that.

    “I met my other soul” Len paused the folk to his mouth, his eyes were larger then saucers watching her closely. Had Ember not felt so sick to her stomach she might of laughed at his odd expression, however this wasn’t really a laughing matter.

    “Ye have?” Lowering the folk, Ember nodded taking a bite of her meat. Len waited for her to go on, surely the man was interested why she’d not told him earlier or left with her other half.
    “He rejected me” Taking another bite of meat, Ember new it was coming that deadly deep throttle from his throat. Len rose to his full height looking like a death dealer from the underworld, when a Fae got angry it was shown all over their bodies. Eyes turned coal black with no white, the hairs on their body rose sticking up like freshly froze blades of grass.

The plate he’d been holding flung across the room shattering into tiny pieces while splattering the food everywhere, Cricket jumped at the loud sound to which she rubbed his head. Len was shaking from head to boot, fists clenched tighter then the gears on a clock.

    “Len its fine” Ember said softly, she’d not really given it much thought. His eyes turned downward to her, shaking his head.
    “No Ember, tis not fine. Ya need him” Ember felt her cheeks flare, she didn’t need anyone- except Len and now Cricket.
    “No, Len its fine. I don’t want him anyways.”
    “Why?” It sounded so primal, dark.
    “He doesn’t like that I’m….” She couldn’t say it, not for the life of her.
    “Cause ye not pure?” Len snapped at her, teeth baring with venom. Ember nodded. That set Len off sending the magic he held flying around the room like a flock of seagulls. Sighing Embers shoulders sagged, this was not how she wanted him to react.
    “Len please calm down, I should be the one upset not you” At her words he came before her dropping heavy on knees, Len’s hands slide up her legs hugging her hips.
    “Aye, Why aren’t ya?”

Ember thought about it, watching Len’s eyes slowly shift back to their wonderful warm color. For the first time in her life Ember saw how ever sad Len looked, he was worried for her and not just because he raised her.

    “I don’t know Len. Maybe because I already knew something like this would happen, or maybe because I won’t change myself for someone else.” She shrugged earning her a nod, placing the plate on the seat next to her Ember rested her hands in her lap. Cupping her cheeks Len leaned his forehead on hers, mixing their breath together.

    “Ye are so strong Ember, I envy yea.” Silent tears began to build behind her eyes, they stung like bees daring to break her perfect hold on emotions.
    “No I’m not” She whispered but Len shook his head hearing her, his thumb swiped a loose tear making more flow.
    “Yea are. Don’t deny your emotions, tis alright to feel Ember” She whimpered as more hot tears spilled down her cheeks, Len didn’t stop them just allowed her to finally let her sadness break open.

Quickly Len picked her up allowing her to curl into his chest, rubbing her arms Len rocked slowly. Ember swore she felt a tear fall to her leg but never looked to see if she’d been right, she didn’t want to make him feel this way. Len was her solid foundation, he’d never shown this much tenderness in all her years but that didn’t mean he didn’t care. Ember new damn well the man cared for her, no one risks their life for over nineteen years for someone they don’t care about.

After their little heart to heart Ember had pulled herself together helping Len clean his mess up, Cricket didn’t move a muscle as she washed the dishes and put the left overs away. A quick shower put her mind at ease while allowing her muscles to relax some, today just needed to end as far as Ember was concerned. Tomorrow would bring a fresh start and she could move on from there, no need to dwell on things you can’t have.

Spending the next several days piecing together her thoughts, Ember wanted to try and see her father in the flesh. She new that meant a long travel, but it had seemed that her mind was not going to allow her any real rest till it was done. Now all Ember had to do was tell Len, he’d not like the idea- that much Ember new- but he’s get over it. When Len came into the cottage Ember sighed, now was a good a time as any.

    “Len?” She called walking out of her room, hearing him in the kitchen.
    “Aye” He called as she rounded the wooden beam.
    “I need to talk to you, do you have a minute?” Ever since she’d told him about her other half he’d been more interested in watching her, his actions proved he was indeed very worried. Some halfs when rejected go to the extreme and kill themselves, feeling as thought it would be better to just die then suffer with the pain of rejection. Ember was not one of those souls, she shooed it back as her stubbornness getting the better of her again.

Len sat at on of the three mix matched chairs they had before she began, taking a deep breath Ember smiled when she saw a sleeping Cricket between her breasts.

    “Len I talked to the old woman” His eyes widened, Ember wouldn’t need to say her calling name Len would known. Before he could ask she began again, this time with a little more toughness-she wanted him to take her seriously.
    “She told me my father is alive, and near the north with red saplings” Len frowned looking at the floor, Ember gave him some time to think.
    “Why?” He asked with a grunt, Len didn’t seem pleased at all about her decision. Not that she’d listen to him, she was old enough to leave had she chosen to but she would miss Len.
    “Because I have questions even you can not answer, I feel…empty” She didn’t mean to touch her heart, but Len had noticed and with a heavy breath nodded.
    “Aye, when will you go?” Ember’s head shot up, she couldn’t believe her ears…he wasn’t throwing a fit.
    “Your letting me go?” Ember didn’t know what possessed her to ask, but it was to late now.
    “Aye, but ye will take your weapons and some food” She swore this was his way of putting his foot down, holding back a giggle Ember nodded wrapping her arms around his neck.
    “Anything for you Len” His cheeks flush, coughing it off he shooed her away saying he’s need to get fire wood. It was ironic they needed fire wood when they lived inside a tree, well more off to the side of one.

Ember was nervous her fear eating her stomachs lining, shaking her hands to rid herself of the jitters Len walked out. In his hand was a small shoulder bag, setting it on the table he rubbed his head vigorously. Motioning for her to look inside Ember complied, flipping open the flap she gasped. He’d gotten her everything she’d needed to travel north, plenty of dried food for her to eat. Her weapons were freshly sharpened sparkling off the candle light, along with a map, compose and even a few candy bars.

Whimper she hugged him tightly, Len stiffened put relaxed after a second patting her head. Releasing him Ember gave him a huge smile, Len shook his head chuckling at her. Flipping the flap closed Len picked the strap up slinging it over her neck, resting it over her shoulder he gave her a sheepish smile.
    “Thank you Len, I shall send word when I can” He nodded, clearing his throat.
    “Ye be careful, don’t go causing nonsense.” Ember tilted her head smirking, no matter what he always treated her like she was still five.
    “Sure thing Len, don’t go doing anything I wont.” Winking at him, Len rolled his eyes shoeing her out the door. She felt his eyes on her back as she walked away, the darkness of the forest eating her steps with every passing second.

She sent a silent prayer that Len would be alright without her, but she new the man was stronger then her. Cricket soon climbed out resting on her shoulder, pulling a piece of fruit out she handed it to him. Happily he took it between little fingers, gnawing away like a mouse. His long tail swayed behind Ember messing in with her hair, knowing he was with her gave Ember a sense of comfort.

To get to the North side Ember was going to pass through town, it was the fastest way without to much trouble. She just hoped it would be less noisy at night, she could tolerate the smells if need be…but the noise was horrid. Opening the bag Ember slipped the daggers to her, one at her thigh the other in her boot. With another pull she snatched a piece of jerky, handing Cricket another apple slice.

Feeling the eyes upon her Ember kept walking, running from supernatural creatures was a huge mistake. One many humans made which was why they died, it sends them into a frenzy of sorts. Like a dog chasing a cat, if you don’t run there isn’t any thrill. Knowing this even their cackles didn’t scare her, a snap of a twig should of made her jump but it didn’t. Instead Ember rolled her eyes huffing in annoyance, they’d pull all the stops tonight.

A large stick flew past her head smashing into a large oak, stopping Ember frowned at the now shards of wood.

Really? Who does that….she thought continuing her walking. Cricket on the other hand hissed behind her, tapping his little foot Ember handed him an earthworm.

    “Pay no mind Cricket” She whispered, rubbing his head. The little creature nipped the head…or butt of the worm glaring behind her. Humming to a song she loved Ember noticed Cricket watching her intently, his chirp for her to sing was what made her smile.

“I woke up sleeping,
    Stars on my pillow,
    Jar full of secrets,
    That only I know,
    I don't want to stay,
    But I don't want to go,
    Take a snapshot inside my soul
    I don't want to stay,
    But I don't want to go,
    Take a snapshot inside my soul”

Cricket Chirped licking his long pink fingers, the noises behind them seemed to still with her singing. Smiling she continued to ease their feelings, it almost made the walk faster.

    “Am I dreaming?
I don't even know what's real
Crazy feeling
Is all I know how to feel, Oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh
Am I dreaming?
Cause I don't even know what's real

Oh, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh
Am I dreaming?
Cause I don't even know what's real

I got some memories
I can't leave behind
Pictures of faces
I wish I could hide” Cricket ran under Ember’s hair sitting on her other shoulder, laughing Ember smiled at her little friend. Singing the rest of the song Ember yawned, starching her limbs to wake herself up.

It took Ember a day an a half of straight walking to cut the distance by a quarter, she’d slept a little in a large willow tree allowing the long tendrils of green to hide her from prying eyes. Cricket would venture up the tree in search of insects, but he’d never stay out of her sight. The noises that wooed her eyes closed were not new, they’d been heard before during many of Ember’s late hunts.

Picking up her bag she gave a soft whistle for Cricket, sounds of air whooshed as the light thud of his body landed on her back. Climbing to her shoulder Cricket rubbed his head against her neck, scratching behind his ear Ember headed out. They needed to make good time, she’d been unable to see her father for many moons and she couldn’t wait any longer.