Chapter 9.

Kurt couldn't sleep that night. How could he? Blaine hadn't come, Kurt was alone.

Had Kurt been alone the whole time? Was he just a convenient distraction for Blaine while his sister was in the hospital? Had Kurt imagined it when he felt that connection with Blaine, while they had held hands? was it just a crazy dream?

On the plus side, Kurt's lips had been healing nicely. Nurse C. was using some kind of ointment, and the swelling had almost vanished. Kurt could very nearly smile again, though he definitely didn't feel like smiling.

The next morning, Nurse C. was checking on Kurt when she suddenly asked, "Do you think you could talk again? It's worth just a try, I think."

Kurt was afraid. What if he couldn't talk? What if it hurt badly? What if it made his lips worse? He worried silently. But some part of Kurt lit up. He wanted to talk, to sing.

He took a deep breath, and tried.

At first, there was no sound. But after a few seconds, he started to hear something...

"Nurse C., I... can... I can talk!"

Kurt tried to smile, and did, just. The nurse smiled too.

"There we go. But I should warn you, it'll be a few months before you'll be going home. Those injuries need a lot of care."

"Okay," Kurt said, still not quite used to talking after silence for all that time.

That was when Kurt heard frantic footsteps pound out in the hallway, at a frenzied pace.

"What the devil... Much too early..." Nurse C. muttered as she went to see what was going on.

Kurt couldn't see, but heard his nurse snapping at someone. "You know the rules, it's much too early! Visiting hours begin at 11:30, and the clock clearly reads 9:35! Now out, and come back in 115 minutes!"

"Please... just a few minutes... I have to explain..."

The second voice was low, and panting, obviously tired, but it was still undeniably, unmistakably...

Blaine.

Despite his agony at being abandoned, Kurt couldn't keep himself from reacting when he heard Blaine's voice. But Nurse C. was ordering him away! Kurt knew the rules, but at that moment, frankly my dear, he didn't give a damn.

"Let him in! Please!" Kurt called at the top of his voice (which wasn't very loud, but loud enough).

There was a silence. Then, Nurse C. stalked into Kurt's room.

"What do you think you're-" But she was interrupted.

Blaine raced into the room, completely ignoring the furious nurse. He ran over to Kurt.

"You can talk!"

"Yes, Blaine. I can talk. Now where were you yesterday?"

"I can explain... if your nurse stops looking at me like that. She's scaring me."

"Good," Nurse C. huffed. "Now, out."

"Why don't I make you a deal?" Blaine asked. "If you let me stay, I'll leave 115 minutes early. You can chase me out with a sword if you like, but please, not until then."

Nurse Cherry-Anne Connors looked ready to explode. But she relented. "Fine. FINE. But I'm not happy. There are rules..." And with that, she stormed out the door.

Blaine sighed. "Wow. She's definitely someone to watch out for."

Kurt raised an eyebrow. "I believe you owe me an explanation?"

"Kurt... you have a beautiful voice."

"Explanaaaaation."

"Fine. Aunt Lyla's car broke down, I don't have one of my own, and it's too far to walk here. That's all. I desperately wanted to be here, I swear. I... felt so terrible the whole time, knowing you were stuck there by yourself."

"You weren't with Lacey?"

"That... wasn't really possible." And with that, Blaine told Kurt his own story, things he hadn't told anyone his age, some things he'd never told anyone. But he didn't seem to want to talk about it afterwards.

"You know, you promised you'd sing to me. Remember?"

"Of course I remember, Blaine. Do you have a song in mind?"

"I was thinking... we could sing a duet. Since you wanted to hear me sing too. In fact, I have one." And Blaine handed Kurt the lyrics to "Baby, It's Cold Outside".

Kurt smiled. "A personal favourite. Let's sing."

So they sang. It was truly amazing, Kurt's soprano blending with Blaine's tenor. They both had great voices on their own, but together they were a sensation.

When it was done, Kurt was ecstatic. "I want to sing something else."

Kurt and Blaine virtually exhausted their repertoires singing to each other, solos and duets. But eventually, they had to stop.

"My throat hurts. Can we take a break?" Kurt asked.

"Sure," Blaine replied, taking an unexpected step closer to Kurt.

"Listen, Kurt... I have something I need to say."

Kurt watched Blaine, a little puzzled. "What is it?"

"Kurt, there is a moment when you say to yourself... "Oh, there you are. I've been looking for you forever." "

Kurt's eyes widened, but he stayed silent. Was this...

Blaine continued. "Hearing you sing... Hearing us sing, was the moment for me. About you."

Kurt took a breath in. It was! And now... Blaine was saying something else, but Kurt couldn't quite focus. And then Blaine was leaning over... and Kurt was equal parts terrified and excited...

The time was 3:05pm.

Nurse C. blazed through the door, not even pausing when she saw Kurt and Blaine in their almost-kiss.

"Out, Blaine. You made a promise, don't you forget it. I might have to get a sword."

Blaine's face was regretful as he left the room. He left just one word behind.

"Tomorrow..."

Kurt closed his eyes and kept himself from screaming. Out of joy or frustration, he didn't know. He didn't even care.

______________________________________________________

Yeah, I slipped a little canon in there. Like it? And the Gone With The Wind reference. Yay, Kurt can speak again! And Viva La Klaine, not long now!