Chapter 6.

• Dedicated to sweet-porcelain.tumblr.com

Before we begin, can I just say that I'm so glad that people like this! Before I actually committed to writing this out, it was just a half-formed fantasy that probably would never have made it to Wattpad if not for one mediatorhaunted. Thank you so much for your comments, mediatorhaunted! I really appreciate them!

But I think I might want to stop chattering and bring on the Klaine.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 Blaine closed the door behind him, and turned to face the young nurse. "Nurse Connors, I-"

"It's Nurse C., honey. Everyone calls me that." She smiled. "But go on."

"Nurse C... I have a question."

"There'e nothing seriously wrong with Lacey at the moment, dear. Remember, just six more years until the transplant, then there's no need to worry at all."

Blaine fidgeted a little. "That's... really good to hear, but I wasn't... asking about Lacey."

Nurse C. was a little surprised, but her professional demeanour didn't waver. "What is it then, sweetie? You can ask me anything."

"It's about... the other patient in Lacey's room. Kurt."

"Oh? What about Kurt, dear?"

"Well... I know he's been hurt badly. But his right arm... it's okay, isn't it?"

Nurse C. checked her ever-present clipboard. "Yes. There are no injuries on Kurt's right arm, excluding some superficial bruises. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I don't know if what I'm asking is routine, but... would it be possible for... Kurt's good arm to be, you know, unrrestrained?"

Nurse C. suddenly looked thoughtful. "That depends. Why are you asking?"

"Well, Nurse C., sometimes after Lacey falls asleep, I like to talk to Kurt. And I know he listens, and wants to say things back, but he can't communicate. I was thinking if he could use just one arm, that it would be easier. Hand gestures, writing, all kinds of things."

The nurse listened intently, and when Blaine was finished, responded carefully. "Well, I would allow it. Unfortunately, dear, it isn't up to me. I just check on the patients. If you really want this, you shouls appeal to Dr. Ming. She's the senior specialist around here, and will be able to help you."

Blaine nodded. "OK, I'll go talk to Dr. Ming. Where can I find her?"

"Take a right, go down the corridor, turn left, then on that corridor, it's the second door to the left. Good luck, darling!" Nurse C. set off down a hallway, waving a goodbye.

"Thanks, Nurse C.!" Blaine called after her. Then, he set off to Dr. Ming.

It took a while, but Blaine made it to Dr. Ming's office. He knocked cautiously on the door, and waited for a response. After a minute, a woman's voice called, "Come in!"

Blaine opened the door to find a woman at a desk, scribbling out lightning-fast writing. She stopped, looked up, and said, "May I help you?"

"Yes. I have a question about one of the patients in room 64..."

Blaine related his request again. Dr. Ming thought about it for a long time, but eventually arrived at a consensus. Sort of.

"I'll see how he goes tonight. Kurt was fully restrained in the first place for a reason. Sometimes we have patients who toss and turn in their sleep, and the movement can aggravate injuries. So we'll keep Kurt under observation for the night, and if no movement is registered, we'll free his right arm. Okay?"

"Okay. Thank you for listening." Blaine left the room and went home.

Won't Kurt get a surprise tomorrow?

The next morning, Nurse C. came to check Kurt and Lacey as usual. But today was not usual, not at all. The nurse came to Kurt first, and started fiddling with the straps on Kurt's right arm.

Kurt wanted to ask what she was doing, but his lips were still not capable of speech. Instead, he sent the strongest possible thought, asking what the hell was going on.

But it didn't take long for Kurt to find out. Nurse C. was a quick worker, and soon, Kurt's arm was completely free.

Kurt would have gasped, had he been able to. He slowly, slowly lifted up his arm and waved it around a little, just to be sure. He shot a grateful look at Nurse C., his eyes almost watering in happiness.

And to make Kurt's day even better, that was when Blaine showed up.

It went the same procedure as always: Blaine talked to Lacey, and when she fell asleep, he came over to Kurt. "Hi," Blaine said to Kurt. "Is your... is your arm free?"

Kurt lifted his arm again to prove it. He waved at Blaine, happy that he could even get across some kind of greeting.

Blaine broke out in a smile, and reached into his jacket pocket.

"I have some things for you."

Blaine pulled his hand out to reveal two things: a notepad, and a pen. "Now you can talk by writing. Are you right-handed?"

Kurt signalled to bring the notepad and pen over. Blaine brought them to him, holding the pad out for Kurt to write on.

Yes, I'm right-handed. Hello, Blaine. It's good to see you again.

"It's good to see you too. Even better now that we can have a proper conversation."

Trust me, it's frustrated me much more than it has you.

The two boys talked (and wrote) for a long time, but then Blaine asked one question.

"What happened to you? You said the first time we talked that you weren't in a car accident."

Kurt wrote in response, his hand trembling a little.

I'm not sure you want to hear that. Even I don't like to think about it.

"I do want to know. I understand if you can't talk about it yet, but I do want to find out."

Okay. But when you read it, remember you asked for it.

And slowly, painstakingly, Kurt scribbled down his sad story.

Ugh, another cliffhanger! But the chapter had to end there or it would have been too long. And I already have Chapter 7 more or less planned, so that will hopefully be soon. Keep reading, Klainers!