When The Bad boy Met His Match Chapter 20(Background)

When the Bad Boy Met His Match Chapter 20

Mon*ster: Noun- An imaginary creature that is typically large, ugly and frightening.

I find that definition wrong in many ways. Monsters are no where near imaginary. Frightening yes, but most of the time they are normal looking and unintimidating. Monster do not hide under little childrens' beds. The real monsters hide in plain sight, they blend into normality. They are friendly and helpful. They earn your trust and your love and then when you believe this reality to be true they show you their true colors. 

The truth is that monsters are very real, and they hide in the people closest to you.

_________________________________________________________________________

Jack had not always seemed the way he was. He was a family friend. My dad's best friend to be exact. 

He could always be at found at our house watching television, or laughing around the fire at our annual barbecue. 

I remember when I was little and my mom was too busy he would help me with my math homework. My dad was rubbish at it since he quit school in the eighth grade.

Him and his wife would watch me when my mom and dad needed a night off from parenting.

He was always uncle Jack.

That was until he and my dad went off to war. My dad never made it back but a stranger did. 

Jacks wife had left him when he was away, and my mom mourned the loss of my father hard. It seemed the combined loss brought them closer together. 

It was when my mom found out she was pregnant with the twins that Jack's true colors came through in a violent splash of blacks and blue. 

That's when My mom and I found out that all the trips down the stairs that aunt Lydia took where no where near accidents. 

________________________________________________________________________

"What is this!?" Was roared down the staircase as mom and I watched NCIS.

"What's what, dear?" Mom asked munching on some popcorn.

"Turn around and look at me when I'm talking to you bitch!" Jack said grabbing my mom by her hair. 

Crying out she tried to escape his grasp as he shoved the pregnancy test in her face.

"Who is the father!?" He spat out.

I ducked out of the way as he through the test across the room.

Fear took hold of me and it was all I could do not to run from the house.

I had never seen Jack act this way.

"You are!" My moms sobbing broke through the fear, "They're yours!"

Jack's face softened and he let go of her hair, hauling her in for a hug. 

"Twins?" He breathed into her hair a giant smile lightening up his face.

Children meant the world to Jack back then, having his owning taken from him by his wife. That's why up until then he had always cared for me like his own daughter. But once he found out about the twins that's when the beatings started.

A week after he found out about the twins I came home with a D in math, that got me a slap to the face.

A few days later he bought me a brand new car to make up for it and like a fool I forgive him.

The beating continued and grew in severity. A few months passed and soon the beatings became a daily thing.

My mom knew about it, one time she had even tried to stop him. That ended with a trip down the stairs and the near loss of the twins. After that she did what she could to protect the twins til they were born. I guess she decided she would do what it took to protect herself after the twins were born, even if it meant throwing me under the bus about things she herself had down. 

I never blamed the twins, they couldn't help they were born. And the certainly couldn't help that they were born to a selfish mother and a violent father.

I had figured out by the time the twins were born why aunt Lydia had taken their kids and run. Because she wasn't the only one that took multiple trip down the stairs. That seemed to be a favorite of his.

I knew that when the twins were born that the violence would continue to them so I vowed to make sure to protect them and did anything in my power to try to get social services to investigate our family. Which meant acting out, violently, in school.

After what had happened last time, I wasn't going to try to tell anyone about it. Poor Mrs.Rosey, she never saw Jack's car coming and everyone still believes it was an accident.

No. I thought I had to do it alone.

And that's what I did til I met the Knights