A Valentine's Day Surprise

Written for the OQ Valentine's Day exchange as a gift for glitterbugg (Twitter)/sweetsmiles1 (tumblr). I'm now sharing here!

"Happy birthday, Mom!" Henry entered her bedroom, carrying a tray loaded with pancakes and coffee.

Regina sat up, smiling at her son. "Henry. You didn't have to do this."

He gave her a look as he set the tray down over her legs. "It's your birthday. Of course, I want to celebrate. And breakfast in bed is tradition. Eat up!"

She chuckled and cut into the pancakes, a sign her little prince was growing up. When he was younger, her breakfast was usually cereal and orange juice. He eventually graduated to toast and learned to make coffee. Now, he was making pancakes. What would he be doing next?

"Thank you, Henry," she said. "This was so thoughtful."

He grinned, folding his legs underneath him to look at her. "What else do you want to do? It's your special day."

She chewed her pancake for a bit, carefully wording her answer. "I think I just want to have a normal day, Henry. That's all. No fuss, no distractions. Just go on like it's any other day."

"But it's not another normal day," Henry insisted. "It's your birthday and we should celebrate, Mom."

"We are celebrating. You've made me breakfast and then we'll have some cake tonight, just you and me. Okay?" Regina tucked two fingers underneath his chin, smiling at him as she prayed he would back down.

He sighed, his shoulders sagging. "Is this about Robin?"

"No," she said, meaning it. "You know I've never been big about celebrating my birthday. I'd rather celebrate yours."

"Because I'm worth celebrating," Henry replied. When she nodded, he then countered: "I think you're worth celebrating."

Her heart melted and she put the tray aside so she could hug him. "If it means so much to you, then I guess we can go to dinner at Granny's and you can invite the Charmings. How's that?"

His smile lit up the room. "That sounds great, Mom. I know everyone will appreciate it."

"Yeah, yeah," she replied before holding up a finger. "I draw the line at Granny's wait staff singing to me. Do we understand?"

"Don't worry, Mom. It'll be a quiet affair. I promise." He hopped off the bed. "I need to go call Grandma. You enjoy your breakfast."

Once Henry was gone, she pulled the tray back and dug into her cooling breakfast. It was just one dinner with the Charmings. She figured the worst that would happen was an off-key rendition of "Happy Birthday" over the cake while the entire restaurant tried not to stare. It seemed tolerable.

She hoped.

*****

Regina took a deep breath before opening the door to Granny's diner that night. She had spent the afternoon pampering herself in anticipation (and at Henry's insistence she relax), soaking in a bubble bath and then using a facial mask as well as other products for her skin. Dressed in red, her power color, Regina definitely felt confident.

It still didn't mean she was prepared to spend an entire evening with the Charmings and their annoying optimistic tendencies.

She stepped inside and spotted Henry waving at her from one of the booths. Regina waved back and started to head toward the booth. The other patrons nodded in acknowledgment of her, a change from just a few years prior when most wouldn't have made eye contact with her. As she approached the booth, one waitress smiled as she passed. "Happy birthday, Madam Mayor."