Costume Contest

A/N: Written for Day 4 of Inspired by OQ 2020 based on Ankareeda's drawing of Robin and Regina dressed as an angel and a demon

*****

"I'm not sure about this," Robin replied. His voice was muffled as Regina stood in the bathroom, finishing up her makeup.

She frowned, wondering what he meant by that. Robin had been so excited for the party all week long. He had even gone to help set up for the party and had happily helped her shop for outfits for Roland and Margot. So she worried that he had changed his mind and what had caused him to do that.

"You're not sure about the party?" she asked him, raising her voice slightly to make sure he heard her.

"No," he replied. "I'm very sure about that. I'm just not sure about our costumes."

That surprised her. She packed away her makeup and opened the door, coming face-to-face with him. "What's so wrong with our costumes?"

"I don't like the implications that I'm all good while you're all evil," he continued, not missing a beat. "We're a little bit of both, yeah?"

She was touched by his concern but also very amused. Regina shook her head, reaching out to press her hand to his cheek. "It's just a costume, Robin. Not some big statement about who we are as people."

He didn't look convinced. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," she replied with a laugh. "No one is going to assume you're an actual angel or that I'm an actual devil. They're pretty common couple costumes."

That seemed to sway him but he did say: "If anyone gives you a hard time, though, point them to me. I'd be happy to have a very unangelic conversation with them."

She patted his cheek. "Well, let's hope that doesn't come to pass. I would rather you didn't get kicked out of the party."

"Fair enough," he replied. "Though defending your honor would always be worth it."

"Good to know," she said, pulling him close. "But if you behave yourself, when we get home tonight, we will definitely do things unbecoming of that halo."

He his eyebrows went up. "Is that a promise?"

"Oh, yes," she said, reaching up to tap the gold tinsel halo attached to the headband he wore with two metal rods. She then kissed him, giving him a taste of what would await him that night.

She broke the kiss, taking a step back. "Let me get a good look at you."

"Sure," he said, slowly turning. He wore a white button-down shirt with white pants and matching shoes. Robin's costume was completed by white, feathery wings that rested on his back thanks to two white straps.

When he completed a full revolution, he held out his arms. "What do you think?"

"You look amazing," she said. She then placed her hands on her hips as she struck a pose. "What do you think of mine?"

"Stunning," he replied. "In every way."

She rolled her eyes. "You always say that."

"Because it's always true," he replied.

"Okay, but in this specific instance," she said, shooting him an annoyed look. "How do I look?"

He smiled cheekily. "You look devilishly beautiful."

"You couldn't resist," she said, shaking her head.

"I've been told that as a dad, I'm required to tell dad jokes," he replied. She grinned, knowing that was something Henry no doubt told him.