Archery

“Archery” 

            “I hope you don’t mind that Henry’s asked Robin to teach him archery rather than you,” Regina told Mary Margaret as they had breakfast in Granny’s. 

            It had somehow become a weekly tradition. Both women would meet and spend an hour just catching up. Regina didn’t want to admit it, but it felt nice. Like it was further proof she was no longer a villain if Snow White was willing to treat her like a friend. 

            Mary Margaret smiled as she tried to keep Neal from putting everything in his mouth. “No, of course not. I understand why he asked Robin.” 

            “You do?” 

            “Of course. He wants to spend some quality time with his future stepfather.” 

            Regina’s mouth fell open as she shook her head. “Robin and I haven’t discussed marriage yet.” 

            “I know, but we all know it’s where you are heading toward. It’s just a matter of time.” 

            “We all? Everyone is speculating on my love life?” Regina raised an eyebrow. 

            Mary Margaret shook her head. “That’s not what I meant and you know it. You’re just avoiding the topic.” 

            “For a reason,” Regina said, giving her stepdaughter a pointed look. Mary Margaret held up her arms in a placating manner. So Regina relaxed as she took a sip of her coffee. “So, is there anything besides my love life that you would like to discuss?” 

            “Actually, yes.” Mary Margaret reached into her bag and pulled out a stack of papers, dropping them on the table. “What are these and how do I fill them out?” 

            Regina thumbed through them, smiling as she recognized the forms. “Oh, these. These are fun.” 

            “And by fun you mean…?” 

            “Writing lots of tedious answers drawn from several different reports and taking several days, if you don’t pull any late nights.” 

            Mary Margaret groaned, pulling the fork from her toddler son’s hand. “Great. I hope David and Neal don’t mind being left alone for a while.” 

            “If you want, I can give you a hand. I’m sure between the two of us, we can eliminate the need for a few of those late nights.” 

            “Thank you, Regina.” Mary Margaret’s shoulders sagged in relief. “That’ll really help.” 

            The bells above Granny’s door tinkled and Regina heard Robin’s voice. “You’re really improving, Henry. Just keep practicing and you’ll be good enough to be a Merry Man.” 

            “Really? I could be a Merry Man? Cool,” Henry said as Mary Margaret shot an amused look at Regina. 

            For her part, Regina turned to her son with a frown. “You are too young to be a Merry Man.” 

            “Come on, Mom,” Henry said. “I’m a teenager now.” 

            “Don’t remind me.” Regina shuddered. “But that doesn’t mean you can just go up and live in the forest.”