The Marriage Test (Part III)

Word of Regina's condition had clearly spread throughout the palace for when Robin entered her room, all her advisors were gathered at the foot of her bed. They argued amongst themselves before turning on Henry the moment he stepped in, accusing him of not doing enough to stop his daughter from doing something so rash. None seemed concerned about Regina herself except for two of her ladies in waiting—Lady Mary Margaret and Lady Kathryn—who stood at her bedside, crying.

Robin ignored the advisors, approaching Regina's bed. She laid there, hands clasped on her chest and dark curls spilling over her shoulders. Her chest rose and fell, though the movements were so slight they would be easy to miss. But Regina was definitely asleep, though she didn't look as peaceful as she probably had thought she would be when she took the potion. He brushed his fingers against her cheek, wondering what she was dreaming about in this cursed sleep.

"You're going to save her, right?" Lady Mary Margaret asked him, eyes as red as Prince Henry's. "Please."

He nodded as the advisors started to yell about succession and the audacity of the queen to leave them in such a position. Tightening his fists, Robin whirled on them. "GET OUT!" he bellowed.

They fell silent, staring at him. He glared at them. "I mean it, get out. You're part of the reason why she did this. Somewhere along the way, you forgot your queen is also a person. Maybe you need to start treating her like one."

Chastened, the councilors left the queen's room. Robin turned back to Regina and took a deep breath. This was his final test—they either loved each other or they didn't. And if they didn't, she would sleep forever.

He bent over her, face hovering over hers. Closing his eyes, he closed the gap and pressed his lips to hers. A pulse blew past him, his hair blowing in a breeze. The others in the room gasped at it and he pulled back, hoping it meant there was a change in Regina.

Regina's eyes opened as she took in a big gulp of air. She shot up and he caught her, holding her close. Regina clutched onto him, gasping for air and he felt her heart race against his chest. He rubbed her back, rocking her gently.

"You did it," she whispered. "You passed."

"Honorably," he whispered back.

She leaned back, cupping his cheek with her hand. "I'm sorry. I should've talked to you rather than assuming the worst about you."

"You're forgiven." He kissed the underside of her wrist. "Just promise me you won't do something like this again."

Regina nodded, her eyes haunted. "I never want to go back there."

"Where?" he asked, concerned. It had to be an awful place and he wondered what she had experienced while asleep.

She shook her head. "Never mind. Help me stand, please."

Robin did as she asked, helping her out of bed. He wrapped his arm around her waist, holding her close though she seemed strong enough to stand on her own. Regina didn't pull away. Instead, she leaned closer to him as she smiled at her father. "Daddy."

"Oh, Regina." He rushed forward and the two embraced, each apologizing to the other.

Robin stood back, watching the tender father-daughter moment, when Lady Mary Margaret embraced him. "Thank you so much," she sobbed.

He patted her back awkwardly, keeping his eyes fixed on Regina as her father rocked her. Robin hoped she finally saw how many people really did care for her and that it would help her start healing.

As Lady Kathryn pulled Mary Margaret off him, Regina let go of her father and returned to Robin's embrace. He held her close, a hand tangling in her soft black hair as he held her head against his chest. Robin dropped a kiss to the top of her head. "Does this mean I get to marry you now?"