Fever (Missing Year Trilogy #3)

Outlaw queen 5 missing year: "Please don't leave me.

The attack had been unexpected and savage. Robin and his men had barely managed to fend off the waves of flying monkeys coming at the palace. In the aftermath, he walked through those who fought. "Is anyone injured?" he called to his men.

"Robin!" Little John called from where he stood over a body. "You better come over here. And hurry."

Robin ran over to comrade's position, unsure what he would find. His heart stopped and his blood froze when he saw who lied at Little John's feet. It was the Queen.

Her clothes were ripped in several spots and he could see claw marks marring her pale skin. Blood oozed from an injury on her leg while one of her arms seemed to be at a painful angle. A gash on her head also bleed, dripping onto her long, dark eyelashes. She seemed paler than usual.

He ran his hand over her hair and checked her for signs of life. His heart took residency in his throat during his scan but didn't leave after he confirmed she was alive. The Queen's pulse was weak and she felt clammy to his touch.

Robin looked up at Little John. "Send ahead and tell them we need a healer. I'll carry her to the palace."

Little John nodded, taking off toward the palace. Robin was careful as he took the Queen in his arms. She was limp, unresponsive. It scared him, if he was honest. This was the woman who infuriated him on a daily basis, almost took pleasure in it, but who he felt the need to protect. He couldn't imagine a life without her now that she had entered his life.

"Please don't leave me," he whispered to her.

*****

Snow met him at the doors, her hand flying to her mouth as she took in the sight of her stepmother. "Regina! What happened?"

"I don't know," Robin said. "I didn't even know she was out there."

"Bring her to her room. I'll send Doc to her. Hopefully he'll know what to do." Snow picked up her skirts and hurried away.

It struck Robin odd that she didn't tell him where Regina's rooms were, like she knew he knew. How close an eye did the princess keep on the Queen? Robin didn't think it was out of suspicion. No doubt she was just as worried about the woman as he was. Was that why she hadn't called him out on his nightly patrols that just so happened to bring him past the Queen's bedroom?

Robin laid her on her bed, her dark clothing blending in with the dark covers. It made her pale skin stand out all the more. He tried to ignore the dread still building as he removed her boots.

Snow and Charming came into the room. Robin stepped away from the bed. "Perhaps you should finish undressing her?"