Thirteen- Betrayal

Firenze stood in front of Alexio, masking the pain that was behind his eyes- the pain from betraying two people who had truly believed he was there to help them. Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. "It is done, Alexio."

Alexio nods. "What did you tell Potter and Granger?"

"I gave them instructions on how to leave, and gave them the potion. I told them it was a different type of Polyjuice potion- they believe I am helping them to escape."

Alexio smirks. "They do not know what the potion will do to them?"

Firenze shakes his head. "Not even the slightest clue."

"Do Potter and Granger know that I still have their wands?"

Firenze shakes his head again.

Alexio nods. "Excellent job, Firenze. By betraying Potter and Granger and proving your loyalty to this clan, I grant you with my trust- I doubt you no more, my brother. You have performed magnificently tonight." Alexio gestures to the bonfire. "Now go- join your family, once and for all. That is the reason you did this to them- so you'd have a home again. Now you have it."

Firenze's eyes look to the other centaurs, who were laughing around the fire, and then at Harry and Hermione, who were sitting in front of their tents, watching anxiously for his 'distraction'. "They are good, Alexio."

Alexio frowns. "I understand that, Firenze. Miss Granger has been most kind to me, after our rough start, of course, and I am grateful that they don't act hostile. They are right to accept their fate so peacefully."

"You do not understand, Alexio. They are good people, who do good things. Good people who have been through the worst of the war and back, and still do good things for everyone- even bad people. Miss Granger offered to have their Ministry help us, even after we caught them and bound them with ropes- they see the good in the worst of people, and yet I stabbed them in the back tonight." His eyes trail up to the sky. "I beg the stars to forgive me for the terrible deed that I have done."

Alexio places a warm hand on his shoulder. "This is all being done to save a life, Firenze. Do not forget what pure motives we have behind our every action. We choose to treat them better, as we are escorting them to a terrible fate, though they've done nothing bad to harm us. We attempted to reason with Rodolphus, but it wouldn't work. We have tried everything to make this better."

Firenze shifts away from Alexio's hand. "Then you'd best hope the stars grant you their forgiveness, but I realize now. I do not deserve their forgiveness- not when I have willingly handed over two people to their deaths. Two of my friends to their deaths. I do not deserve forgiveness, nor do I deserve to live happily in a family. I have done no good to deserve it."

He turns and gallops away, resting in the darkness at the edge of the bonfire's light. Alexio watches, and though he had attempted to subdue the guilt that he had been feeling so constantly, it doesn't work, and he pushes himself away from his brethren and into the depths of the night.

*          *          *

It was ten minutes to midnight, and Harry and Hermione were watching Firenze, who was at the edge of the fire, anxious looks on their faces. Their friend looked more nervous and upset than they'd thought he would, and the look on his face unnerved Hermione.

"We should see if Firenze is okay." Hermione says once it turned five minutes to midnight. "He looks upset- if something's gone wrong with the plan, we need to know."

Harry shakes his head, tightening his bag around his shoulders. "No. If we attempt to contact him, then we might raise suspicion with Alexio. We need to keep the plan as discreet as possible."