Chapter 21

Evie

Pushing at the door with my hip, the white wood swings wide as I hope my brother is not standing on the other side. I was greeted by a familiar face. But not the one I was expecting.

"Blake?" I questioned, staring blankly at my best friend clad in a pair of barely there shorts and what looked like one of my brothers shirts.

"Oh, uh, Evie!" She cheered, practically dropping her mug as she pulled me into a hug. "I didn't think you'd be here for a few more days!"

"Yeah," I winced at the tight hold, dragging out the word slowly. "Don't take this the wrong way but why are you here? In my house? When you didn't think I would be here for a few days?"

"About that,' She trailed off, pulling back and giving me a sheepish smile.

"Babe, do you want to get some food before we lea-," James practically smacked into the door frame as he noticed me standing there, mouth half open and eyes wide. "Evie! Hey."

"Uh, babe?" My hip cocked out, eyebrows high as James fumbles for words. "How long has this been a this?"

"Uh, a couple of months?"

"Months? Why didn't you guys tell me?" My eyes met Blake's sorry hazel eyes, her messy brown hair clinging to her lips as she pushed it out of her face.

"We didn't want you to freak out, or I don't know, feel weirded out about this." She explained, leaning into James' shoulder as he put an arm around her waist. Schooling my features, I nodded slowly as I contemplated my next words.

"I guess I just don't understand how," I breathed in through my nose, " you managed to get her James. Cause I'm pretty sure you leaving your boxers on the stove might be a - Hey!" I laughed as James tossed a dish towel at me, Blake laughing as she snatched the next one from his hands. "I'm just kidding. I'm really happy for you guys."

"Thanks sis." James smiled, hands pulling Blake into him embrace around her and kissing her gently on the lips.

"But that," Motioning to them and their public display of affection, "that needs to be kept to a minimum around me, for a while at least." They both nodded, smiles on happy faces. I was happy for them, they were both such wonderful people that deserved an equally wonderful person. James quickly glanced at his wrist watch.

"Oh shit, sorry to run out on you Evie. We've gotta go or we'll be late getting to the school." Oh right, the football team had an away game tonight. James was the College Quarterback and Blake was the captain of the cheerleading squad, how did I not see them being a this?

"Oh yeah," I basically spoke to thin air as they skid out of the room, "of course." Sighing, I grabbed the mug Blake left behind, sipping the cooling coffee before realizing she had just drank out of it after doing who knows what with my brother. "Okay, ew, gross." Spitting the liquid into the sink, I startled when arms went around me not having heard them walk back into the room.

I was barely able to supress my scream, tensing at the hold that felt all too much like being held down. It was James, he was safe. Relaxing, I wrapped my arms around him and patted his fluffy hair. "Give em a run for their money, big bro."

"Always do." He grinned, moving so Blake could cuddle me into her. "Okay. We gotta go."

"Don't flash anyone!" I called as I took her in short skirt, laughing as she flipped me off and grabbed James by the hand. They couldn't look more different, her in her short skirt and tight top while he was only in sweats and a loose jersey because there was no reason to put on the shoulder pads in the duffle bag he tossed over his shoulder til he got there. She would do her makeup in the car, sparkles getting everywhere but they were a power couple if I'd ever seen one.