Chapter 18

Luke

Falling in love is easier than breathing. Some are believers in love at first sight, some are sceptics that don't believe in love at all. Holding the girl you'd been secretly dating for months in your arms as her glassy blue eyes slid shut, her body falling limp in your arms as you hold on with all your might? That is the only definition of love I have because in that moment I felt every conceivable emotion from anger to disbelief, happiness as she spoke to me, exhaustion and elation, love and hate. It was all the feelings a man in love might feel but I was feeling them for the wrong reasons.

I was feeling them because I was dumb enough to let her go with a guy that obviously made her uncomfortable.

I was feeling them because I was dumb enough to think I could protect her from so far away.

I was feeling this, this mind numbing, gut wrenching, soul crushing agony because I was dumb enough to think she would be safe.

I was going to have to live with the memory of this moment, of my stupidity for the rest of my life and I didn't know if she would forgive me.

"Evie? What happened love? Come on, talk to me, tell me you're alright!" Frantic didn't cover the tone of my voice. I didn't know it was me. It didn't sound like me..

"Luke! Where did you-" There was a startled chuff, the voice cutting off as the footfalls paused. It was a silent for a breath, then the footsteps were moving to my side and Ashton's new pair of shiny, and expensive, loafers were in my peripheral. He didn't say anything, a solid hand landing on my shoulder in his own confusion. It was like my mind couldn't focus on a solid thought; it was buzzing. Like the crack in the cement steps leading to the alleyway, the flickering light on the post dotting the side of the road, the slightly sticky substance that had coated my leg when I dropped onto the gravel, or the slight tremble in Ashton's hand as he let a shaky breath rack his body were the most interesting things at the moment. I couldn't focus on anything because if I did, I would focus on Evie and if I thought about her more than looking at her prone body, I couldn't handle it.

As it was, tears were pooling in my eyes, the shock almost rendering me incapable of any emotion besides this; nothing. But this is my responsibility. I have to stay strong. Despite the fact Evie looks lifeless, and dark, I have to keep it together if I want to help her.

"Evie, you have to open your eyes. Please." When she didn't respond, I had to try a different approach. "Squeeze my hand. If you can hear me - Someone, can you call an ambulance!" She was an impossibly white shade, still and silent; if it wasn't for the slow rise and fall of her chest, I would have thought she was - No, I can't go there.

With a jolt, I follow the hand that shook me to look into Ashton's eyes.

"What is going on?" Despite the calm tone, there's a crack in his voice and a tightness to his jaw that gives his own fear away. I don't know what to say or how to say it. I am afraid if I talk, I will lose it. Giving a quick glance to the door, he is turning on his heel and running to a man that I don't recognize, speaking with fast gestures and listening intently as he presumably is telling Ashton that he called an ambulance.

Glancing at Evie - I couldn't look away for more than a heartbeat - I was hit by the helplessness of the situation.

There was nothing I could do for her.

Then my back went rigid, my almost loose grip tightening on the curves of her body as I felt myself moving. Yelling to Ashton, voice a weird mix of determination and steely resolve, he was quickly by my side. I was careful transferring Evie to his arms, having to force myself away from her by focusing my eyes on the cracked cement and tucking my bruising knuckles into my sides. I wasn't letting that 'man' get away with hurting her, scarring her in one of the most cruel ways.