Chapter 16

Luke

"No, I want to stay here and wait for her!" Michael ordered, shoving Calum as he made a noise of disagreement in the back of his throat. They were fighting so intensely about who was going to wait for Evie we had to pull them to the hallway by their collars. I knew they'd made friends with her but the voice in the back of my head revved, watching them stoically. They were fighting over her like they had fought over Lily Hayes in primary school when they'd both had a crush and neither could decide who liked her more. They both wound up being in favour of their friendship over a girl-she had cooties- but the situation was similar and I didn't like it. Calum with his wide smile and thoughtfulness, Michael with his tough demeanour and kind-heartedness. Why wouldn't she choose one of them?

I stopped myself short, anger and jealousy swirling in a cacophony as I mentally kicked myself. She was mine, they didn't know that but still. I shouldn't be jealous of them, not my best friends. Am I jealous? Is this my jealous streak or my insecurities or am I just a horrible person who thinks his friends are low enough to try to get with her even if I told them I was with her? I settled for the latter.

"Could you two stop it? You're behaving like children. Neither of you are going to wait for Evie because those few beers are really getting to you and you would probably wind up in the pool or something." Ash sighs deeply, fingers pinching the bridge of his nose while the others pressed to Calum's chest. He shot me a pleading, if not straight up begging, look as the two started to poke each other's cheeks. "Would you mind waiting for her? I can take these two to the lobby?"

"Uh," I glanced back at the door, wanting nothing more than to wait for her but not wanting to come off as the creepy boyfriend-if that's what I am to her- or the boys to become a little suspicious if I am too excited. "Sure."

"Thanks mate. I know that the girl you are chatting up's gonna be there tonight and I don't want you getting there late."

My shoulders relax, unknowingly tensing with the boys going at it like that as Ash's words register. I nod quickly.

"Thanks Ash. It's fine though. She said that she'd try to come but might not be able to." I smile, acting like I wasn't bothered that I couldn't just scream at him that Evie was the girl. But she and I had an understanding. We were going to figure this whole what are we thing out with them.

I felt like I hadn't quite convinced him, his nose crinkling, so I quickly formulated something that sounded mildly believable. She has to work was a better excuse than she broke her leg square dancing. But I didn't need to, a rude interruption stealing away his attention.

"Wait, no! We didn't get a say in this." Calum whines, leaning bodily onto his friend. Ashton grappled to get a hold of him before he fell, rolling his eyes before giving a questioning you good here? Look to me. Far as I could tell, I had the better side of this deal. Ashton quickly grasped Michael's elbow, the two all but falling as Ashton tugged them to the elevator despite their disputes.

"Say bye to Luke." Ash was just teasing them at this point, shoving the boys in to the now open elevator.

"Bye to Luke!" Calum grinned, a happy wave and smile on his lips as the doors shut, Michael's Why am I wearing pants? All I heard before turning with an amused smile to Evie's door. Why was I friends with these people?

Sliding the key card out of my back pocket, smiling as I remember just how she gave it to me, I waited until it flashed. I did a simple tap on the door, letting her know I was about to come in so she could stop me if she wasn't, well you know, clothed.

"Hey, are you- Wow."

I'd seen beautiful people. I was in a band, and Ashton was pretty popular with models. I had travelled, I'd seen the prettiest of people in the oddest of places. I'd seen beautiful but nothing could compare to the incomprehensible woman in front of me.