Chapter 1

Evie

A peaceful feeling travels through my sleeping body as the morning begins to pass. But soon to only be interrupted by a loud upbeat melody. I half open my eyes to see the blinding sunlight pouring into my bedroom. I let out a groan as I roll over and bury my head into my pillow.

"God damn it Evie-Rose, get up!" The voice which belonged to my older brother; James bellowed from the direction of the doorway.

I groan again as I pull the covers up higher over my heavily clothed, shivering body. Autumn here in Los Angeles was something I was still not accustomed to. Normally, autumn in my hometown, Perth, Australia, wasn't too bad. I could still get away with wearing leggings and a light jumper. But here, it's completely different. I have to wear leggings and tracksuit pants, a singlet, t-shirt and hoodie to bed just to being to warm up. But I suppose that is one of the things that I have to face while chasing my dreams. 

My dream is to be one of the photographers for the magazines that I have read as I have grown up. To do that, I've made the courageous decision to take a leap of faith and move halfway across the world to Los Angeles with James who happens to be living here for his university football scholarship. For the past year I have been studying at a local Arts School specializing in photography.

"Evie, come on. I made you breakfast, you'll need it before your last day." James tells me, I sigh as I stick my head out from under the covers.

"Breakfast in bed?" I smile, trying to convince James to let me stay.

"No. Get out, before I get the water pistol." He chuckles.

That's when I dive out of bed and run for the kitchen which was just down the hall from my bedroom in our small apartment.

Breakfast was quickly done with and then James left for his before classes practice. After having a shower I went back into my room to figure out what I was going to wear. Being a girl who was 5"11 and who always been on the plus size, I found it hard to piece together an outfit which would fit my body okay. An outfit that would hide all of the places that I have always deemed my flaws. An outfit who made me feel comfortable when in reality I'm not. I'm not in the slightest bit confident within myself, my looks, my body, everything always makes me feel larger than I already am. I scavenger through my wardrobe, finally deciding on getting dressed into a pair of black jeans, which minimized the size of my thighs and my butt, which minimizes the thought of thunder thighs repeating itself over and over again in my head. A long sleeve black and white striped top with a silver Eiffel Tower embroidered on the front, which was an attempt to hide my stomach and an attempt at trying to lighten the thoughts of insecurity. Finally to finish my outfit, the only thing that I'll ever like with this outfit is my black doc martens. 

I go back to the bathroom and begin to dry my long bob brunette and blonde ombre hair. After drying my hair, I curl it so that is shapes my face well. I contemplate putting on makeup, but with the weather being as crazy and unpredictable as it is and the fact that I am now running late for class, I decide against it. I rush back into my room, grabbing my backpack which has all of my books, note books and best 2 cameras and accessories inside. I grab my black jacket, my baby blue matching beanie and scarf, and my wallet and head out of the door. I meander down the stairs to the street where I walk in the chilly wind to my last day of classes.

Finally, it is the last class of the day and forever.

I finally arrive at the 'Ministry Of Fine Arts'. The photography building is large and imposing. Huge double doors grace its entry which require the strength of a bodybuilder to lever them open. Arched windows adorn the front facade and raindrops race each other to the window sill. The third door on the left unnerves me as I am seriously late for my last class. I take a deep breath and enter the deafening silence of the classroom.

"Glad you could finally join us, Evie-Rose. Why is it always the star pupils that are the most tardy?" Mr. Summers sarcastically remarks.

I clench my teeth and clutch my books close to my chest as I make my way to my desk.

"Sorry." I mumble under my breath and slouch into my seat.

The time today was spent finalizing portfolios for moderation. I was feeling apprehensive as my subject matter was far more left wing than my fellow students. Many had chosen nature, portraits of families and textures but mine consisted of harnessing the passion of music. The rawness, the emotion, the fear. Everything captured by a single frame.

As I scrutinized my final assignment, I walked to Mr.Summers' desk and placed the large portfolio and large notebook on his desk. I felt confident that I had done all that I could do.

"Evie-Rose. Finished the assignment already?" He asked with a surprise tone.

"Yes sir." I mumbled loud enough for him to just hear, still embarrassed from the earlier events of the class. I look down to where there are a few sketches upon Mr.Summers desk; not really sketches more like a whole lot of writing and scribbles. 

"What are you working on Mr.Summers?" I asked peering at the work half hidden underneath of my portfolio.

"This?" He asks motioning to the scattered papers. I nod slowly, hoping that I have not offended him. 

"It's ideas for a shoot that I have tomorrow." He sighs as he lifts up my sketchbook beginning to flick through it.

"Oh right. You also work for Rolling Stones Magazine." I chuckled remembering the stories that Mr.Summers had told us in class about how he became a photographer for Rolling Stones Magazine.

"Yeah, it's with this huge band; 5 Seconds Of Summer. And I've-" he begins to tell me as he now looks through my portfolio, but then cuts himself off.

"Evie-Rose." He pauses a the class falls silent. "Wait around till after class. I need to speak with you about your portfolio." He continues. The classroom erupts with chuckles, whispers and 'oohs' and 'ahs'. I sigh as I turn on the spot and then walk back to my seat.